How does "Microsoft Security Essentials" compare to standalone antivirus and antispy?

Arris

Hey folks,

Been using Avast free version and Spybot for quite sometime. But when my Windows 7 update installed Microsoft's own equivalent I removed them and have been running with just Microsoft Security Essentials for protection. Have anyone read a good evaluation of it or can recommend using it or advise against using it?

Would I be better going back to Avast + Spybot?

Thanks..

Been using MS Security Essentials here on Windows 7 32 bit HP, since the first week Win 7 was available. Not had any problems at all, many 'items' have been found by it, and deleted. Updates are available from MS usually 2 or 3 times a week. Can't say it slows my old Intel P4 down, and I would say it's as good as any other free A/V.

I've been running Microsoft Security Essentials since it was released and have never had a single issue with it. Have formerly used McAfee and Symantec antivirus products and find MSE to be far less intrusive and very effective. New definitions are bundled in the standard Windows Update feed so you really never have to worry about it.

Another vote for Microsoft Security Essentials from me. We now use it on all Windows installs at home.

I didn't reply to this earlier, because I know there are some comparisions out there on the web but I didn't have any links. Still don't have any links, but I'm going to reply anyway :)

I didn't run an AV for a period of several years, mostly because I didn't like how sluggish they made an otherwise good system seem. Then I also didn't like being nagged all the time about updates. MSE still nags about updates, but I take that in stride because regular windows updates include MSE updates.

I now run this on all my Windows machines and I've also made sure that family members use it. I do this because I don't notice it running, and it will pick up things in real time (like if you get a strange thing from an 'adult' website without downloading anything (happened even in Opera)). It also seems incredibly easy to use. Setting directory exclusions are really simple too.

Back