How much wattage for AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there are christmas ahead and Ive been planing to buy a new cpu but Im not sure if my power supply is good enough.
So I have a MSI K9A2 CF mother board, 2x 1GB SDRAM2, ATI Radeon 4870 and AMD 64 AM2 4200 x2. Now I want to change my cpu to AMD Phenom QuadCore 9850 2.5GHz or the 2.3 GHz version and I have a Chieftec 450W power supply.
That is too low I guess and I dont know now if my computer will be able to run this
or maybe I will need to buy Seasonic 650W and I dont know what to buy now.

450 watts is not bad, and there are other factors other than wattage that into a power supply. At my job, I have a 450 that easily supports an Intel quad-core.

That PSU is okay, but not recommended for a gaming system, especially one that will be on most of the time. I'd recommend the Corsair 550VX and the Antec Neo 550 as great choices.

Hmm the calculator says that i need about 620 watts to run this crap, and the pc is on often like 4-8 hours a day. I dont know, from what youre saying I think I am going to buy that pcu and maybe some time later I will switch to a better power supply.

620W? Do you have a lot of fans or HDDs in your case? Your setup will not use more than 400W with your current parts.

Hmm, I have 1 CD RW writer, one hard drive its 200 gb and one the fans that come with computer(processor, power and graphic card) and also I have a question.
Is the 2X 6000+ better then the X4 2.5 for games? I heared that games dont support Quads yet and the 2X is cheaper and better?

There will not be much difference gaming-wise, except on heavily CPU-dependent games like Supreme Commander. Gaming performance will depend more on your video card.

And as for a PSU, I think you can do with a good quality 450-500W PSU. Something like the Corsair 450VX or the Antec EA500 will be plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back