How to access laptop broadband in Android mobile?

t3chn0vamp

Hi guys!
I have an HTC Android device and a laptop.I have broadband connection in laptop.So what I want to do is to access that broadband internet connection in my android device.Is it possible through wi-fi??? Can this be done using wi-fi hot spot??? If yes then how?
Thanks in advance.

Just to be clear, the laptop is on a wired connection, not wireless?

If that's the case, you'll need to bridge the connection between the wired & wi-fi connection of the laptop. And setup ad-hoc network. Then your phone will be able to get online.

But I don't think a non-rooted phone can connect to an ad-hoc network. I could be wrong, there might be apps that will let you do this. It's been a while since I looked into it.

If that's the case, you'll need to bridge the connection between the wired & wi-fi connection of the laptop. And setup ad-hoc network. Then your phone will be able to get online.

But I don't think a non-rooted phone can connect to an ad-hoc network. I could be wrong, there might be apps that will let you do this. It's been a while since I looked into it.

Yeah, the laptop is on a wired connection and there is an inbuilt app in the device for making it a hot spot.I will try your way and let you know the results.
Thanks for the help.

hmm; The connection flow is typically FROM the PC(a) TO the cell phone(b) To the Cell WiFi(c).
This allows a PC Internet connection where needed when a hotspot is not available.

The a->b connection frequently uses software on the PC, such as Nokia PC Suite via Bluetooth,
Infrared or USB cable(this is brand name specific).
That software then requests "Connect to Internet" implicitly via the Cell Phone features.

Your request seems to be the opposite direction;
Internet->Pc->Cell Phone.
What then is your expectation for this reverse connection? Playing games on the phone with a cheaper Internet cost?

Yeah, the laptop is on a wired connection and there is an inbuilt app in the device for making it a hot spot.

Not sure if that will work. I think the Hotspot app requires the phone to be on the 3G/4G network. And the app will turn your phone into a access point where other wi-fi device can share the connection.

What then is your expectation for this reverse connection? Playing games on the phone with a cheaper Internet cost?

I just assumed t3chn0vamp is at a location where 3G/4G connection is bad but wants to be able to access the internet from the phone also.

After reading the first post again, I am a bit confused about what he is actually asking.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

The way I read it, sounded like he wants to setup internet sharing on the laptop so his HTC phone can go on-line.

Yeah, the laptop is on a wired connection and there is an inbuilt app in the device for making it a hot spot..
yes I've seen advertisements for this

PC connects to the Internet (any way possible)
enable your "app" to allow multiple connections
and then you+your friends share the same Internet connection via your PC.

Btw: Hotspot-->yourPC-->your app <--- your friends is real goofy!
just have the friends connect to the hotspot in the first place.

however:
pc-->app <--- your friends would be much like a LAN part were all players have access to everything.

the thing is here in India mobile network providers are bitches.3G is here but plans are very high and 2G plan speed sucks, but broadband speed and plans are quite good.So what I want is to access my PC broadband on my phone, so that I can get good speed. :D

You are accessing your broadband via a wired connection from your router to your laptop and the router doesn't support Wireless connection (i.e. 802.11b/g/n?)?
If it does support Wireless you can simply connect the phone to the router via this. If your laptop is only connected via a wired connection I'm not sure how I'd go about it but the application for sharing the connection or the ad-hoc setup previously suggested seem to be the way to go.

this is not possible since Android does not support Ad-HOC networking ! :(((

You are accessing your broadband via a wired connection from your router to your laptop and the router doesn't support Wireless connection (i.e. 802.11b/g/n?)?
If it does support Wireless you can simply connect the phone to the router via this. If your laptop is only connected via a wired connection I'm not sure how I'd go about it but the application for sharing the connection or the ad-hoc setup previously suggested seem to be the way to go.

I dont have a router.Its a modem which ISP gave me.It only supports wired connection.

The thing is, IT IS A CELL PHONE and does wireless via the cell phone carrier.
It is not designed to access a network (voice OR data) via any other medium.
As shown above, other devices may get data access using the cell phone connection however.

this is not possible since Android does not support Ad-HOC networking !

The only way at the moment is to root your phone. Method varies, so you'll have to research that.

I dont have a router.Its a modem which ISP gave me.It only supports wired connection.

You can't add a wireless router to it?

Btw, just found this: http://www.best-4-u.com/simple-tric...-between-pc-and-android-phone-using-wifi.html
I'm not sure whether a rooted phone is required or not. Doesn't look like one's needed.

hmm; unfortunately, the data flow is in the wrong direction!

Oops, did I read the article wrong? The virtual router manager program is supposed to turn the Win7 machine into an access point for other wi-fi devices like an Android phone to connect, right?

guys finally i did it. :D
I installed Virtual Router Manager 0.9 Beta.What is does is it turns your computer into a hotspot.So I started a virtual hotspot and shared my PC Broadband connection.Then I connected my Android device to the network and thats all ! All options are in the software itself.It just needs some clicks.Here is the download link for the software:

http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/releases/view/36035#DownloadId=93540

Thank you guys for your answers.
Merry Christmas. :D

Back