How to add a dedicated PhysX card on a non-SLI mobo?

Ziad

After the guys around talked me out of buying a new 580 & advised me wait a little now I have another question :)
I have a Foxconn FlamingBlade GTI mobo that supports crossfire but not SLI.
My main graphics card is a GTX470 & since I have a spare PCIE-16 slot I thought to throw in my 9800GT "just for Physx".

The question is will I just add it, & give it power from the PSU, remove the old driver & reinstall a new driver so that it detects both of the cards?? or how

Besides, is it worth doing so??? will I see performance gains in games that have physx?

A step by step guide is highly appreciated

Not sure if you can with a crossfire mobo, But to be honest its more likely to decrease your overall performance even if it is possible.

You don't need an SLI board or SLI bridge for Physx and don't need to uninstall the drivers either, just make sure you update to the latest version. You should just be able to insert your 9800GT into the spare PCIe slot, plug in the power connector and the nvidia settings screen should detect it automatically.

There will be a performance gain for Physx games, but then there are only like 3 games which actually use Physx :)

Not sure if you can with a crossfire mobo, But to be honest its more likely to decrease your overall performance even if it is possible.

Thats my point exactly. I have to see if it will decrease the performance cause, I saw people who suffered from performance decrease. "will keep you posted on the performance issue"
It can be done technically speaking on a non SLI mobo

So I just add the 9800GT
Boot the system & install the NVIDIA-PhysX System Software

"thats what im a little fuzy about"
Do I just install the PhysX System Software as a driver or do I have to install the whole Nvidia driver?

As slh28 posted above, just put the 9800gt in to your pc. Go to nvidia control panel and select that gpu as your physx processor. No extra drivers should be needed as physx is already built in to your 470 and the drivers should be all there.

Im 99% sure however that you will see a decrease in performance by doing this.

First results

Plugged the 9800GT & there was no gain or loss in performance.
Mafia 2 remained the same, actually it was less by 2 FPS. Will test Batman later on with updated drivers & new PhysX software
Still, thx guys for the support

Back