How to add a PIN to your smartphone account to prevent SIM hijacking

learninmypc

In a new scam that’s generically being called “mobile hacking” and more accurately termed “SIM hijacking,” BuzzFeed reports criminals are now able to breach your financial accounts with as little as the last four digits of your Social Security number.

Here’s how this one plays out: A crook who has the last four of your Social can call your wireless carrier and impersonate you. They can convince the customer rep to issue a new SIM card for your phone number, which they can then activate to take control of your number.

Once your new phone number is in their control, they can gain access to your accounts — bank and investment accounts, as well as social media and email accounts — and siphon money out without your knowledge. THE ARTICLE

Once your new phone number is in their control, they can gain access to your accounts — bank and investment accounts, as well as social media and email accounts
ONLY if you use your mobile for two factor authentication. Remember; it's harder to crack when there is LESS information available. If I stick to dumb passwords for sites, and do not provide any personal info, then at the MOST I have that specific site and likely my email at risk - - the more I add to the site, the bigger target I become.

ONLY if you use your mobile for two factor authentication. Remember; it's harder to crack when there is LESS information available.

Hmm this is why I don't put my info everywhere on the net, that and cookie-cache play a bigger role if it ends up in the wrong hands.
Chrome, firefox, opera,edge offers to store website passwords, or autofill.
I let it do it for 3 websites, anything else I'll keep off and fill in or reset if I forget over time.

Thanks, I am using a Samsung Galaxay Note 8 and have Windows apps running. I had been trying to decide the appropriate browser to use. I have Chrome and Edge, but was considering Firefox. It has been a while since I used Firefox, but I never had problems with it. As a rookie, I hope to learn more tech from folks smarter than me.

Back