How to change logon password

learninmypc

I read in here someone else had that happen, it happened to me when I logged into my pics app & I didn't know it'd change the logon password. I'd like to remove/delete it if I can on my W10

There is really no need for a third party tool. In the control panel. Under user accounts. Their is away to create a password change disk.

There is really no need for a third party tool. In the control panel. Under user accounts. Their is away to create a password change disk.
But you have to supply the original password, if you can get into Windows. Don't know log-on password, no getting into Windows

Ok, my question is this, what would happen if I deleted my email address that I'm forced to use as my logon password? Could I return to the original password I had?

First of all his password he wants to change would be the password he has now. If this is what he is asking. 2nd yes you can use a usb. What account are you using to login into windows your local account or microsoft account?

Last edited:
First of all his password he wants to change would be the password he hows now. If this is what he is asking. 2nd yes you can use a usb. What account are you using to login into windows your local account or microsoft account?
If that is directed at me, I "had" a password on my W7/W10 tower till I started messing with the Pictures app & it asked me to verify that it was me by entering my password so I entered the one I "originally" had but it wouldn't accept & that is when I was forced to logon with my email accout.
So, if there is a relatively easy way to go back to the original password, I'd prefer that. :)

No that is not it. The way to change to a local account . Is to go to the start menu. Click on it. Then scroll down to settings. Once the window opens . Click on Accounts. Once this opens. You will see your name. Under your name. It should ask you if you want to sign in to a local account. Click on this. Once that opens you will be able to setup a local account . With the password you want to use. Sorry should have just explained it at first. The webpage gives you the long way around.

Last edited:
If you are having difficulty in changing the password, you can follow the instruction below.

if your account is already password protected and you want to change the Windows 10 password.

First access the Settings application/button.

click Settings application.

click or touch the Accounts option

The account you’re currently logged into will open by default.

(If you wish to change the password for another account, click or touch Other user accounts on the left.)

click Sign-in options on the left and then the Change button under the Password section in the middle.

Change or remove your PIN (Personal Identification Number) – a quicker and easier way to unlock your computer after waking it from sleep.

• Change or remove your picture password – an alternative to a text-based password.
Resetting a Windows 10 Password Using a Password Reset Disk

Note: creating a Windows 10 password reset disk is ONLY available for local accounts! It’s not possible to reset Microsoft accounts using this method. Please see the next section on doing an advanced reset.

You’ll need a USB flash drive or memory card to create a password reset disk.

Plug your USB flash drive into one of your computer’s available USB ports and wait until it finishes installing.

Next, open the Start bottom. Control Panel should be the first option that appears in the list of

Create a password reset disk.

Click or touch the Next button when the Forgotten Password Wizard window appears.

Performing an Advanced Windows 10 Password Reset

If you are having difficulty in changing the password, you can follow the instruction below.

if your account is already password protected and you want to change the Windows 10 password.

First access the Settings application/button.

click Settings application.

click or touch the Accounts option

The account you’re currently logged into will open by default.

(If you wish to change the password for another account, click or touch Other user accounts on the left.)

click Sign-in options on the left and then the Change button under the Password section in the middle.

Change or remove your PIN (Personal Identification Number) – a quicker and easier way to unlock your computer after waking it from sleep.

• Change or remove your picture password – an alternative to a text-based password.
Resetting a Windows 10 Password Using a Password Reset Disk

Note: creating a Windows 10 password reset disk is ONLY available for local accounts! It’s not possible to reset Microsoft accounts using this method. Please see the next section on doing an advanced reset.

You’ll need a USB flash drive or memory card to create a password reset disk.

Plug your USB flash drive into one of your computer’s available USB ports and wait until it finishes installing.

Next, open the Start bottom. Control Panel should be the first option that appears in the list of

Create a password reset disk.

Click or touch the Next button when the Forgotten Password Wizard window appears.

Performing an Advanced Windows 10 Password Reset
Thanks but @Cobalt006 had the solution :)

Ok, I'm confused now. I do have a microsoft account but I DO NOT want to login using it.
I've successfully changed my login password & name & don't want to mess that up so yes, I am confused:confused:

Ok, I'm confused now. I do have a microsoft account but I DO NOT want to login using it.
I've successfully changed my login password & name & don't want to mess that up so yes, I am confused:confused:

Not trying to confuse you. Just letting you know their is a way to change the microsoft account password if you would ever want to.

Not trying to confuse you. Just letting you know their is a way to change the microsoft account password if you would ever want to.
I know you're not trying to confuse me, so if I can use my MS acct without changing my logon password,ok. :)

Back