How to check how much space is being used as pagefile?

CMH

I'm just curious to see how much stuff is actually being put into the pagefile. Mostly to see how many writes are going into my SSD because of this (I'm thinking my last SSD reached its write limit).

Recently upgraded my RAM, and dedicated a bit of it to deferring SSD writes. Now I'm wondering if this is a good move, or should I just leave it so it won't write into pagefile as often instead.

It's always a recommendation that people move paging to a platter drive. Some people purchase a second SSD for the sole purpose of paging. They purchase the second SSD to protect the life cycle of their main SSD.

Me personally since I have 8GB memory and rarely use over 4GB, I have disabled paging on my PC. Paging is a feature that allows the OS to use more memory than is physically present in the machine. If you have plenty of memory to cover your daily usage, paging really isn't necessary.

Well, I have 8Gb and it says 6.4GB is in use, with 1.7GB available, 1.7GB cached.

How do you know that you rarely use over 4GB?

I left a monitoring program on my computer overnight as I downloaded a new game off Steam (total size 7.2Gb).

I just checked said program, and it says 42.28GB total bytes written. !!!!

p.s: thats total bytes written to my SSD.

What is your memory usage when you don't have any applications running?

On average without any applications open, my used memory sits about 1.2GB to 1.5GB out of 8GB. This is using Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) with MS Security Essentials for an active anti-virus software.

If you haven't changed any settings then by default the pagefile size will be 1.5x your total RAM. If you want to change the size or turn pagefile off completely follow these steps.

I think my memory usage will be a bit high because I've set aside RAM to defer writes to SSD. It sits at about 5GB used, with about 3.3GB of that I've set aside for defferring those writes as mentioned.

slh28: did you read the original post?

Back