How to connect two computers together to share files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

judicious

I have a desktop which is connected to the router and modem. I have a laptop that uses wireless. How do you connect the two so I can share files with one another? I tried to set up a network connection and didn't get it to work. Confused..

Thanks!

First, get all systems to be able to browse the Internet. This will give you a valid
TCP Lan system.

From there, you need the File Sharing to be configured on all systems AND
the firewall to Enable Print/File Sharing (on windows, it's on the Exception tab)
which use ports 139,445 for OEM firewalls.

If any system on your lan is XP/Home, then you can ONLY use Simple File Sharing.

network file sharing on a LAN

first of all on both pc and laptop go to network setup, then auto detect all computers , set up a windows sub group aka network, then select file's printers etc. hope this works. hint your pc has a name it sends out over the network even the LAN/WIFI see if you can go to my network places and see the other pc's / laptops on the network then right click, properties, settings, file share.

autodetect is a feather of Ethernet NIC cards to select between 10mb/100mb speeds.

I think you are asking, how can I get ALL systems to show up?

a- you need all systems to be able to ping from one to the other, in both directions
b- all systems must have the same Workgroup name
c- filesharing must be active on all systems

Be sure to read your windows stuff on My Network Places. There are also very good magazine-type manuals at your supermarket on "how to build a home network" or see Network Magic info at:
http://www.networkmagic.com/nmlp/ho...e networking&gclid=CJ6OoLG2nJMCFQQtswod6gR_wg

This is one of those tasks that is difficult as can be until you know how... then it seems so easy looking back on it.

Connecting two computers with a length of CAT-5 or Cat 6 cable then following the info from a Gurgle Search or My Network Places, will get you up and running if you are just patient and use your noggin. Don't make it more difficult than it is.

Or get the 11 year old kid next door to do it for you.

raybay said:
...Connecting two computers with a length of CAT-5 or Cat 6 cable then following the info from a Gurgle Search or My Network Places, will get you up and running if you are just patient and use your noggin. Don't make it more difficult than it is

If you are going to connect the two PC's directly to each other, be sure to use a Crossover type Ethernet cable.

yes this is the cheapest solution -- but almost no one is satisfied with it after they get it running.

the best/right solution is a cheap router like this:
Code:
modem--router--your.systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back