How to cool down an 896MB Nvidia GTX 275

Schmutz

My 275GTX is running at high temperatures (70C idle 100C+ load) causing a pulsing "stutter" during games (to prevent it from exploding no doubt!)

Crysis is a good example, will run at 30FPS and every two seconds will slow down and resume normal speed (when the temperature is around ~100C mark)

I am currently running the card @ 60% original clock speeds, which stops it from stuttering but this is not ideal at all

Solution?

When I first became aware of the problem I opened it up (warranty has expired) and noticed the cooling paste on top of the GPU was extremely cracked/dried up. I replaced the paste with some Arctic 5 CPU paste and I removed a lot of dust as well

I expected this to eliminate my problem but unfortunately it has not. My concern now is that either the CPU paste is somehow not compatible/was poorly applied (small line down the middle of the GPU, right?) OR I have disturbed the "thermal stickers/pads" on top of the memory modules(?).... when removing the original paste from the GPU, I used cotton wool and tiny traces of cotton did get stuck in the thermal pads. Lastly, the connection between the two halfs of my GPU does not seem as tight as it was originally since putting it back together.

Should Arctic 5 CPU paste work with GPUs?
Could I use Arctic 5 CPU paste on the thermal pads?
Should I try re-assembling the two halfs of my GPU tighter?
Any other ideas?

Thank you for any suggestions, they will be much appreciated. I would rather not buy a new graphics card now as I hear the new tech will be released later this year - if there is nothing I can do I have been considering the ATI 5850 1gb because it is £150 on ebuyer at the moment (not sure if that will be a worthwhile upgrade to my 275gtx though)

Thanks

have you tried to turn the fan speed up? i recommend EVGA Precision Also i would apply a thin layer of AC5 on the gpu thermal pads i don't know much about but gl with the card man also the AMD 5850 is a great card and you would notice a speed increase.

I did try turning the fan speed up and I've been running it at lower clock speeds than usual to keep the temperatures around the 95C range (which prevents the stuttering but is still extremely hot)

Since I am looking forward to playing through Crysis 2 so much and my current gpu is only going to cause headaches I may bite the bullet and get an ATI 6870. It will carry me through the next few months until I upgrade everything in my computer. When I do upgrade I can sell the 6870 and invest in something really good to use over the next few years) Do you think 6870 @ £170 is a better deal than the 5850 @ £150? It seems so...

I just ordered an nvidia 560TI (gigabyte brand) for £200. With nothing to lose I just put loads of arctic 5 thermal paste on my 275GTX and re-assembled it very tightly. I don't know if it will stay this way but the idle temperatures are 44-45C. It reached 100C again when I ran a game for 15 minutes @ 1920x1200 - but by lowering the resolution to 720p I was able to keep it below 100C and it cooled down to 60C again within 5 minutes of exiting the game (slightly promising)

Are there any custom heatsink/fans I can get for my 275GTX? It is a really good GPU and I don't want it to go to waste :(

I have the same card, my rig idles at 49c nowadays when it used to idle at like 36c. I suspect its because of my card. The sticker that came on it peeled off by itself from the heat. I am at 60c+ when gaming. My card aint to hot yet but if I was you I would open my case, leave it open and point a household fan directly on my video card.

I just went to my power management and turned it to balanced and I now idle at 40c, I forgot how much of a diff that makes.

Back