How to establish a VPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeChuck

Hi!

Me and my friend wanna make a VPN connection (or any connection) over the net. We are each accessing internet through a LAN, we have our IP's set from the internet provider, cant change it, what should we do?

if you want to do it sercurely you should get 2 routers one for either end (not expensive ones as you only need one VPN connection) the one provide by your ISP should be able to route what make is it???
the fact that you IP is static from your isp makes no difference the router will perform address translation. you configure the router too allow your friends IP address..there are many different ways fo doing this and many different protocols you can use.PPTP is pretty easy to configure depending on the router you have ......you'll need to do some research
provide some more details and if i can il give ya more info

Point to Point Tunneling Protocol, I assume? (never configured a VPN, but I'm interested)

easy one.

right click my network places(to be done on the box used as the VPN gateway)

go to properties...
now on the right column you should have "Create a new connection:" click it.

click next> choose advanced connection> then click accept incoming connection> click next... on the next screen you will see a box with direct parallel LPT1 in the box.. make sure it is not checked, then click next.

Click on allow virtual private connections and click next.. now you have to specify who can use the vpn connection

select all users that you want to allow vpn access to. , Please do not give admin access or any admin account access unless you have a legit reason for remote administrative tasks....

then click next> it will aske which protocals to use.. you can leave this default and click next. then click finish....

now that you have the vpn setup.. on the box connecting to the vpn do the same thing "create a new connection" only on this system we want to choose the second option the one that reads.. connect to a virtual private network....

from here it will ask you to name the connection... click next... then it will ask you to give the hostname/ip address. put in the ip address of the vpn connections WAN IP ADDRESS..... then click finish.

this should allow the connection to put you on the same virtual network.

Hope it helps.

for your router configs you will need to forward ports for the vpn connection to the appropriate computer. i dont remember the ports right of but a quick google search should tell you which ports.

The big problem is that we don't have access to the routers: The internet provider has a powerfull computer (this router, I guess - I'm no expert) and I am connected to this provider through LAN cable all the way to my home (It is a very cheap internet solution :) ).

Same to my friend, but he is on another provider. I don't think those bastards ( :knock: )would open any more ports for us, so we have manage with what we have... But if I can chat with this friend then maybe I can play games too, right? But most games wont accept such a complex net config, so I thought that, through a VPN we could make I fine connection...

who provides your internet service? most allow vpn connections to passthrough.

I have used adelphia cable internet service and had no problems what so ever to do exactly what you are wanting.. allow a vpn so friends could connect to my server and play lan games.

So what exactly should I do? Do I have to speak with the internet provider or can I just make that VPN directly?

there should be no reason you wouldn't be able to create a vpn connection.

follow the instructions that i posted earlier, if you have problems post and we will try to help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back