How to find which app is trying to load a dll?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop that gives an error message during the final steps of loading WinXP SP 3 saying the it can't find the module to install. RUNDLL error window says the module is supposed to be fdxhhyuo.dll, in \WINDOWS\system32\. I can't figure out what app or component is trying to load this module. I've looked in the Sys32 folder contents of several other windows machines, including a couple of similar Inspirons, and can't see this module in any of them. I'd like to know what's calling for this so I can dump it, whatever it is. Additionally, I'm getting blue screen error messages with very random and strange messages and I'm wondering if these things are related. All help much appreciated.

Thanks, but see Windows can't find that dll and is complaining about it. I can't find that dll either and can't figure out how to find what's asking for it....

?

The links in blue above will find it
Once you find the autostart entry, just remove it (which you will)

The file itself must have been removed by Antivirus or a Spyware program, anyway it's gone (but not the startup entry!)

The reason is the file is deleted but the registry entry is still there

So the registry entry tells the file to load but the file isn't there - thats the error

Kimsland is saying disable this program from starting up and it will get rid of the error because the registry entry won't tell your OS to load that file if it is disabled

*you could use hijackthis and delete the registry entry - it will be a 04 entry

well considering that is most likely a vundo file -> I would rename hijackthis and take a peek at a log for others that may be hiding

that's why I haven't posted instructions and was just dropping hints

I didn't want to upset the boss for posting in the wrong section

I look it at it this way, the startup entry is gone (well will be) the case is closed.

But you get very in depth (which I must admit I do to at times) And want to clean out everything. There's checkdisk as well you know, and defrag !! What if we had another member come up on your thread and say, hang on ! There's more to do (there's always more to do)

The user (richie66) wants the startup fault gone. That's the fault, and the only question. The answer has been provided Post#2.

All done.

I know what you are saying and was just messing with you. However, google the file from the error and see what is found

the reason is because it's a random 8 letter file name (vundo)

@richie66 -> if you would like, I suggest making a thread in the security section to check for malware -> https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html

Post a hijackthis for me

Highjackthis Instructions
  • Make sure you have the LATEST version of HJT (currently v2.0.0.2) it can be downloaded from HERE
  • Run the HijackThis Installer and it will automatically place HJT in C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe. Please don't change the directory.
  • After installing, the program launches automatically, select Scan now and save a log
  • After the scan is complete please attach your log onto the forums using the paper clip icon above your reply.

Attach it in a new thread -> here https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html

Thanks for all the help. I was able to talk to one of my sons who worked for Intel for years (high speed comms research). He said that overall, the quickest and best solution would be to nuke and pave. That's probably right (except for the need to download a lot of MS updates). Anyway, that's the path I took, and all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back