How to increase my C drive without deleting something?

Do you know how to increase my C drive without deleting some important data or programs? In fact, yesterday, when I attempted to install a newly download program, a message popped out and told me there was a low disk space problem. I had also checked my C drive space. There was really 597MB of free space left. So, I just want to increase this drive successfully. Do you how I can do that? Any advice could be greatly appreciated here. Thank you!

Assuming you have space available I'd recommend Mini Tool Partition Wizard Free. I found it very straightforward to use.

The major issue of lost space comes from things going on without your knowledge and consent. Please see my post#4 from this link. https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/rapidly-eating-up-disk-space.200186/ where you also get links to 'how to fix it'.

To isolate which of those possibilities you need to pursue first, you need a way of looking at your current data in a summary form. One or two software packages to do that are also suggested in the post above. I use treesize free.

If you can't get much space back from those tips, buy a USB plug-in backup drive and use it to either move some of your existing data, or add extended space to your C: drive. A lot depends upon how big your present HDD is, how old it is, and what type of partitions are on it. For example, newer systems now come with 'dynamic disks' which can be simply extended onto another HDD without disturbing the existing HDD at all. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363785(v=vs.85).aspx

Last edited:
Firstly, check whether there is free space on the same physical drive that your C drive locates.

If so, you can try to increase the drive space in Disk Management: back up everything important, shrink the drive with free space and “extend” your C drive by right clicking.

But, if the free space is not continuously behind this C drive, the “extend” option often doesn’t work. So, you also may try to use some partition resizing tools to extend your wanted drive with success.
Note: Never forget to back up all important data well before the resizing process.

Back