How to increase text size of folder/file names in Windows 10 Explorer windows?

FrankJ

Hello. I recently switched from a 15.6" screen HP PC to a 14" screen HP PC (Windows 10), and the text of folder/file names in the Explorer windows seems very small. I would like to increase this text size, so that I can read it better.

I tried the Settings > Ease of Access option "Make text bigger", but this magnifies and distorts the text of everything on the computer, including even the browser. I also tried the "Make everything bigger" 125% option, but this again blows up and distorts everything. I want to increase text size only in the Explorer windows, and perhaps some other places.

Someone (DaveM121) said on this page...
Font size in File Explorer
...that Winaero Tweaker could do this, and so I installed version 0.19.0.0. However, after some searching including under the File Explorer heading, I cannot locate such an option.

Can someone recommend a solution?

It's not an ideal solution but the following is quick and simple, in Windows 10:

Hold down the Windows key and press + to activate the Magnifier app, and then press Windows key and + again to zoom in the screen. Press Windows key and - to reverse the zoom. Finally, press Windows key and ESC to disable the Magnifier app.

Using this would allow you to quickly zoom in and see folder titles, and then switch it off when you don't need to use it.

Thanks for your reply, but not what I was hoping for. I had not used the Magnifier before and it might come in handy on certain occasions, but it seems rather cumbersome; not ideal, as you said. I can read the folder/file names, it's just a matter of ease and convenience, of avoiding mild eye strain.

I think the scalar should work but I would double check that you are running the monitor at its default resolution liek 1280 x 768 or 1400 x 900 first? You may have selected a non-native resolution and that might be the reason the scaler isn't looking good.

Thanks for reply. The PC is a laptop (HP Laptop - 14z-dk100 CTO), so I guess the monitor is built-in. At Device Manager, the Device description is "Generic PnP Monitor" and it says the Location is "on AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics", but I see no resolution information or options.

At Settings > System > Display, under Scale and Layout it says that Display resolution is "1366 x 768 (Recommended)". The other three options shown here are 1280x720, 1024x768, and 800x600; so, evidently there is no 1280 x 768 option. When I momentarily clicked on the 1280x720 option, the Explorer text looked blurry and I clicked Revert, getting back to the recommended resolution.

As far as I l know, I have not changed any resolution settings. If there is something else I can check or adjust, let me know and I'll have a look.

1366 x 768 is fine. It was a good idea that it was set to the native resolution before playing with the scalar. You can adjust the scalar to something else if you click on Advanced Scaling Settings

I will likely experiment with the customized scaling. It should be mentioned that, to Apply a custom scaling setting requires a "sign out", which I discovered means that all one's open windows (notepads, programs, etc.) will instantly be closed and the pc basically restarted. This was a surprise to me, don't think I lost much work.

Actually 'Sign Out' means just that. There is an option to 'sign out' instead of reboot or restart so you can avoid the need to close all your programs =)

Specifically, after I enter a number and click the Apply button, it says: "The custom scale factor won't be applied until you sign out.", and gives a "Sign out now" button. When I clicked it, it instantly closed out my browser, notepads, explorer windows, and a couple of programs I was running. I had to enter my password to get back to my desktop, and then pull everything back up.

Back