How to mount an LED star to a CPU heatsink?

hellokitty[hk]

As you all may know, I've been around this computer forum for a while.
However, I'm also a flashaholic, particularly LED's.

Right now I'm working on a project with an LED, and I need heatsinking for it.
It won't need to be portable, ie. a flashlight, so I think I will use a CPU cooler.
The LED will be star mounted on a MCPBC. That link may or may not be the LED I will end up using, but they will all have a similar aluminum base. Note that the largest star size I will be able to find is probably 21.8mm.

Now I already know that I can just use Arctic Silver Alumina thermal epoxy to mount it, but I'm not sure how think I should be aiming for.

I personally think that a dab of normal thermal compound and using a washing+screws to tighten the star onto a heatsink would be more effective. However, I don't have access to any milling equipment that I could use to drill a screw hole into a heatsink, and that sounds troublesome anyway. So I'm wondering if I could find a mounting bracket that would fit for this...
Also, what would be the most effective thermal compound? I thought I remembered hearing one that beats AS5, but that was a while ago and I honestly am not sure if I actually did read that, or if it was just a dream of sorts.

One more thing, a cheap heatsink. I know there are plenty of cheap ones at around $10 - $15, but I really don't know anything about them and I would like it to be somewhat decent. What voltage/amperage would the fan run on?

EDIT:This sort of heatsink mount might be what I'm looking for...
DSC01411.jpg

Hi HK,
what is the diameter of the holes? you could use plastic expanding push pins and springs like that of most stock Northbridge coolers. do you have a dremel tool?...of course you do :p drilll the holes in the HS base.
Also, what is the size limit on the HS you can use? (this is all based on me understanding the project of course :)

what is the diameter of the holes? you could use plastic expanding push pins and springs like that of most stock Northbridge coolers. do you have a dremel tool?...of course you do drilll the holes in the HS base.
If I could thread my own screws, this thread wouldn't exist :haha:.
The LED dome/substrate is 2mm x 2mm, while the surrounding package is 5mm x 5mm. I was thinking of using a mounting bracket or sorts, and punching a hole for the led dome to stick out of, then screwing the mounting brace in tight.

Also, what is the size limit on the HS you can use? (this is all based on me understanding the project of course
Oh doesn't matter.
It's just going to sit there exposed, there is no size constraints as it's mainly just a testbed.

Where did I put this? Overclocking, cooling, and modding...hmm, maybe a bit out of scope heh.

Back