How to overclock an AMD FX-6300

PurpaFur

I have no previous experience with overclocking, and no idea what to do first. My system specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD FX-6300
CPU Heatsink: Cooler Master V8 GTS with Arctic Silver 5 AS5-3.5G Thermal Paste
Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming
PSU: Corsair CX750M
GPU: MSI GTX 960 Gaming

Any help would be great!

Go to BIOS and use manual overclocking option (not sure what it exactly is on that motherboard) and raise CPU multiplier from default 35x.

Remember that you can damage your CPU while overclocking and tbh there is not much poinit overclocking that CPU. Gains are not that much noticeable.

Change multiplier + add voltage when necessary to prevent crashing. for long term use, under 1.35v is something I would recommend, though I highly recommend just buying a better CPU, as what HardReset said, performance gains are minute, to actually worse, in my case. I get 21fps to 45fps stutters playing Battlefield 1 @ 4.5Ghz on low settings using a GTX 980. Not much of a good CPU at all.

Best overclock you can do it's with your clock because you get also better single tread. Put voltage to 1.45v and try with the clock to set a value like 250, then put back your memory speed manual and also HT and NB . It's a hard way to overclock but at the end you don't need so much voltage and gets better results. Don't forget to also bump the energy profile.

Advice, bios up-to-date. Good cpu cooler and watch the temps. Max temps on package is 65c

Back