How to play videos from my laptop on my TV screen

hayyoot

I have a Toshiba laptop, and a Panasonic TV, I got the S video to TV connector cord, connected it to my laptop, and to the color input sections on my TV, my computer detected the second screen, and prompted me to set it up to display the movie on the TV screen, but, the TV screen never showed a thing, I tried the different channels (including the channel that I play the video on), no success, anyone can help?
Thanks

...well.

Exact model of Laptop?
Exact model of TV?
What modes does your TV have?

Then we'll be able to help more. :)

Looking up both of those, I see they both have VGA connections (monitor cable plugs, like These) so the easiest option is to get a VGA cable. They're typically pretty cheap at any computer shop, and will enable you to have video on the TV with clarity.

Just plug the cable into both computer and tv, change the TV to "VGA" and it should recognize and display a copy of your laptop screen. If not, you can enable it in Display Properties, in the Control Panel.

Well, I have the cord you suggested, it is a VGA to S video cord, so, one end of the cord looks like the pic you posted, this end plugs into the computer, the other end in three colored pins that plug to the component section of the TV, when I pluged everything, the computer recognized that there is another screen, and gave me the option to display the video on screen one, or screen two, so, I chose screen two which is the TV (supposedly), the computer screen turned black, but, the TV screen didn't play anything, I tried to change the channel on the TV, looked at the settings on it, etc, nothing happened, It looks like the computer recognized the cord, but, the TV didn't, is there a way I could get the TV to recognize it?

S-Video is a horrible resolution, hence why you may be having issues.
S-Video will only display up to 576p (576 x 720, or in some cases 576 x 704), and therefore is inadequate for delivering quality video to your TV.

Do yourself a huge favor, and get a regular VGA cable. You'll get a better quality signal, and less hassle.

Ok, Captain HOW to set the TV on the input? I assumed that you just set the channel on no. 4, like you do for playing a DVD, I meddled a bit with the TV menue, found several options, tried some of them, no change. The thing is: the back of my TV has several input row ports, I tried input 1, input 2, and input 3, nothing worked, when I checked out the TV menue, I didn't see a clear choice to get connected, is there something specific I should look for?
Redk, I honestly don't know what kind of cord I have, one end of the cord is a male part that has 3 rows of 5 pins, and it fits into my laptop, the other end of the cord has 3 female colored pins (red, yellow, and white), so, I went to radioshack, and got connectors to connect the female ends to the TV, is this an S video? Or is it a VGA cable? I know one thing, my computer recognized the connection, and the resolution has changed on my computer screen when I connected the cable (to poorer quality, but, still good), but, my TV didn't sense a thing:-(

Redk, I honestly don't know what kind of cord I have, one end of the cord is a male part that has 3 rows of 5 pins, and it fits into my laptop, the other end of the cord has 3 female colored pins (red, yellow, and white), so, I went to radioshack, and got connectors to connect the female ends to the TV, is this an S video? Or is it a VGA cable? I know one thing, my computer recognized the connection, and the resolution has changed on my computer screen when I connected the cable (to poorer quality, but, still good), but, my TV didn't sense a thing:-(

Google VGA cables

Google S video cables

Honestly, you'd find what you need quicker.

A VGA cable [1.5m] should cost about $15. The red/yellow/white cables [called "RCA" cables] are for audio.

The reason why your TV isn't picking up your laptop is because you aren't using a VGA cable where each end is male. Your laptop and TV should have a blue VGA port.

Now as for sound you'll need a converter. Your RCA cables will go from your TV to something that on one side has a red and white female plug, and on the other will have a cable that plugs into the headphone/speaker port [most commonly these are coloured green]

I got one of these converters with a logitech 5.1 surround sound system.

Let me know how you go.

I am sorry, I am very computer UNSAVY, excuse me for appearing the computer naive I really am:)
Ok, I do have a VGA to RCA cables, eventhough the RCA cables are females, I bought connectors that made them into males (I think it did), I now can plg them into the component port on TV, the TV screen is still playing a white and black scrambled image, is there a possibility that my VGA port is disabled somehow?
I also looked up VGA to RCA both male ends, the RCA end comes in red, blue and green, so, I am not sure how would teh colors match.
Here is what I have:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VGA-SVGA-S-VIDE...139?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5569117b
HOWEVER, I can't understand what the black peice is for, is the black piece an S video? Should I ignore it?
And here what I used to convert the female ends into males:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103433
I will worry about the sound when and if I get an image:)
i am sooo frustrated, but, not ready to throw in the towel yet.
I would appreciate any help

The black cable IS S-Video. But make your life easier and chuck it somewhere in a box. Same with what you bought from radio shack.

You need a male 15 port [at both ends] VGA cable

Google VGA cable

You need a VGA cable where both ends are male with 15 pins. This is the third time I've said this.

It seem you are not listening to me. Therefore, I can no longer help you.

Good luck.

Didn't you read my post?? I have a cable that is both male ends on order, my new question is: the color codes are different that the TV color codes, the TV colors on teh back of the TV are red, yellow and white, the pin colors on teh end of the RCA are red, blue and green, how can I match them?

Apologies

If the colour codes are different then you have bought the wrong cables. If the female ports are red yellow white then buy red yellow and white RCA cables.

OK, get you head around this; cables with RCA ends that are colored red, green, and blue are, "component" cables, and they must be connected to a component input.

On a set of RCA cables, that are colored, red, white, and yellow, the yellow end is "composite video", red is right channel >>SOUND<<, and White is left channel >>SOUND.

So, you need to scrap the approach you are taking, and either use, "D-Sub to D-Sub" 15 pin VGA, or S-Video output from the video card.

In either case the PC sound needs a 3.5 mm to 2 RCA male adapter, to patch the sound across. Likewise, the sound must be patched into the "PC sound" input, if using VGA (D-Sub) from the PC, or the matching input channel of the S-video input being used. (At least if you expect sound, that is).

What you really need to do is read, and reread, the TV instruction manual, especially the hook up diagrams.

He has got the VGA/D-Sub on order.

All he needs now is the red/yellow/white RCA to 3.5mm converter [for hooking sound up to laptop]

Basically hayyoot, the VGA/D-Sub (which name one might prefer) has atleast double the quality of S-video, and is more than 10 times easier to set up. Once you get the VGA-cable, this will be like a cakewalk.

As for the red/yellow/white-inputs, but green/blue/red cables; scrap that idea right away: as mentioned, the TV supports RCA-signals as input, however the red/green/blue-cableset delivers component video = Will not work, and if it does work, it will all be in monochrome. AND: the quality will be rubbish. Poor colors, bad resolution, yadda, yadda.

More or less all connections from laptop to TV requires another thing. As mentioned, you need audio as well. What you now want, is to look for a 3,5mm input jack on the TV (the very same type found on mp3-players and more or less on all music-devices). More and more TV's come with this jack. If your TV has a 3,5mm jack, then all you need is an extension-cable 3,5mm male to 3,5mm male, and connect the laptop's audio-out (aka line-out) port to the input-port of the TV. Audio is transferred this way.

If the TV lacks a 3,5mm jack for audio input, then consider buying a 3,5mm male to 2x (white and red) RCA males, and connect them to the TV in the appropiate jacks.

Personally, when connecting my laptop to my TV, all I do is plug the VGA-cable into my laptop (the screen adjusts itself) and the other end into the TV. I then change the TV-channel to "VGA-Input" (the input mode itself has atleast a hundred of different names, depending on the TV's brand). Finally, I connect a 3,5mm male to 3,5mm male - cable into my laptop's "line-out", and the other end into an input-jack on the very back of my TV. Viola, audio and video.

If there is an input-jack on the side of the TV, be careful, this is probably for headphones and is an output-jack, not an input.

Hopefully you'll know what to do once you get your hands on that VGA-cable :) .

Back