How to Protect Yourself From Public USB Charging Ports

learninmypc

Let’s be realistic: You probably shouldn’t be too paranoid about these attacks. We haven’t seen widespread reports of charging ports causing problems. However, many possible attacks could happen over a USB port, and avoiding the risk is easy enough that it won’t inconvenience you.

The main problem is that USB doesn’t just transmit power—it sends data. That’s why you can plug your phone into your computer to transfer files back and forth, update the phone’s operating system, and back up its contents. FULL ARTICLE

Yes, this is truly actual problem. Not many people worry about that while charging using USB. But still it is danger for everyone.

Disable AUTORUN. The user then needs to find the proper file on the USB device, but at least you can run your antivirus on the USB before launching anything.

There's also a terrible hack that can DESTROY the USB slot on the PC when it is inserted.
  • Moral: ONLY insert USB devices known to you.

You can protect yourself by simply charging your phone at home or by having a power bank on you.
But as for me I'm not very afraid of public usb chargers and like to charge my phone while I'm riding a bus to the other end of the city - it's very comfortable.

It's easy. Don't be lazy and always keep your phones charged if you have to go outside for longer periods of time. Why put your self in unnecessary risk.

Back