How to route each computer(node) on my router to a different IP

WhyFhy

I have 4 computers connected to my router, which manually gives them internal IP addresses such as

When these computers are on the internet, they all have the global IP of say 172.154.2.1

Is there a way I can forward each computer to a new IP?
Via the use of SSH Tunnels, VPN, etc?

People use VPNs to emerge in a different part of the country or even a different country all the time. That will effectively change your external IP for sure. You could also do this with onion routing:

I am pretty sure that is what the Tor project is all about although I have never used it.

When you say forward, do you mean you are trying to use the Public IP NAT to different internal devices or are you trying to source your internal IP to a different public IP?

If it is the first option you would need a larger static public IP block from your ISP and then port forward or NAT to the internal IPs. If it is the second option you can could set up different VPN destinations on each device or do something similar to the first option and use policy routing. I have quite a bit of experience with this if you have any further questions.

When you say forward, do you mean you are trying to use the Public IP NAT to different internal devices or are you trying to source your internal IP to a different public IP?

If it is the first option you would need a larger static public IP block from your ISP and then port forward or NAT to the internal IPs. If it is the second option you can could set up different VPN destinations on each device or do something similar to the first option and use policy routing. I have quite a bit of experience with this if you have any further questions.
Hey Gabriel

Sounds more like the second option.

Basically I would like each of the four connected computers to have its own IP, But I want this controlled from the router side, not the computer side.(we could ofcourse put a VPN on each computer)

Luckily there is flexibility around the router as we can install any OS we like on it.

Im sure this is possible via the use of SSH, VPNS, virtual machines etc, I just cant visualize how to do it....

A "schematic" could be

Router
192.168.0.10 > VPN1
192.168.0.11 > VNP2
192.168.0.12 > VPN3
192.168.0.13 > VPN4

Another way would be to have four routers, each with VPN capabilities, and have each computer connect to a different router, but isnt there a way we can do this via one router?

People use VPNs to emerge in a different part of the country or even a different country all the time. That will effectively change your external IP for sure. You could also do this with onion routing:

I am pretty sure that is what the Tor project is all about although I have never used it.
TOR would work, but its the routing I need help with, IE connecting each of the four pcs to a different TORIP, via the router(not the computers)

Hey Gabriel

Sounds more like the second option.

Basically I would like each of the four connected computers to have its own IP, But I want this controlled from the router side, not the computer side.(we could ofcourse put a VPN on each computer)

Luckily there is flexibility around the router as we can install any OS we like on it.

Im sure this is possible via the use of SSH, VPNS, virtual machines etc, I just cant visualize how to do it....

A "schematic" could be

Router

Another way would be to have four routers, each with VPN capabilities, and have each computer connect to a different router, but isnt there a way we can do this via one router?
This then would depend entirely on what router you have and the OS installed on it. Typically to accomplish this it would require something on the commercial side of things like a Mikrotik, Sonocwall, Watchguard, etc. If the router OS supports it there will be an option to set up each VPN, then you would have to make the appropriate routing rules so that each LAN IP uses the correct VPN as a gateway to the internet. Home routers normally do not support this type of setup and it is what I would consider advanced networking. I hope this helps but you have a lot of research to do to see what will fit your price range and then each type of router is different on how to set it up.

This then would depend entirely on what router you have and the OS installed on it. Typically to accomplish this it would require something on the commercial side of things like a Mikrotik, Sonocwall, Watchguard, etc. If the router OS supports it there will be an option to set up each VPN, then you would have to make the appropriate routing rules so that each LAN IP uses the correct VPN as a gateway to the internet. Home routers normally do not support this type of setup and it is what I would consider advanced networking. I hope this helps but you have a lot of research to do to see what will fit your price range and then each type of router is different on how to set it up.
How about setting up a linux OS on a raspberry pi for example, then routing each connected device to a vpn?

How about setting up a linux OS on a raspberry pi for example, then routing each connected device to a vpn?
I am not sure this would work on a Raspberry PI because you would need 2 NICs to have a router. However it is probably possible on a linux setup but I can't really give you more information than that. I have done something similar to what you describe on both a Mikrotik and a Watchguard. You will have to do some research to figure it out.

Back