How to set the page file for Win 7 64

Larsenex

I read elsewhere that I should not let Windows manage the page file. In old XP I would set it but I for got the formula.

My system will be back with 8 gigs of DDR2 dual channel.

What would you set the page file at?

I was going to do 24000 (Megs) I think that's right but I may be wrong.

Edited for spelling.

I typically set the pagefile to 2x the real ram so for you, I would recommend 16gb.

set both the min & Max to the same number. ONE GB is 1024 so 16 would be 16384.

I personally don't see a problem with allowing Windows to manage Pagefile. And to be honest, I have 8GB and have run over 6 months without a Pagfile. However when I do use a Pagefile, I set the size to 1GB and then let Windows mange the size. If I need more than 1GB for Pagefile, Windows will increase the size when needed.

So there it is. Two experts, both respected and know a great deal, but they give you suggestions at the opposite ends of the scale. If you think about it, that is telling you - 'it does not matter much what you do'

I learned to set it to 2x and fix the size when on xp I suffered major HD overload when the pagefile was forced to expand. It not only took a long while to complete the expansion, but it was then fragmented into 12-16 fragments - - really helpful with the performance of the most critical file on the whole system ( !! NOT !!).

Like so much of systems management - - it's your choice :)

Oops; forgot to mention - - get a copy of Defraggler and using the
menu Settings -> Boot Time Defrag, you can defrag not only all the registry files but also the pagefile too :)

Enforcing min/max values for the page file is useful if the tasks you perform regularly chew up 80%+ of your RAM.

If you barely hit 50% some of the time, Win7+ is pretty good with managing its own pagefile size.

In any case, I recommend you do have page file enabled.

Back