How to transport my desktop?

thesurvivor190

I am moving to a new house, and I am wondering how to move my computer + monitor without damaging it. I've already backed up all the files, so I don't need to worry about that.

I have a 24 inch monitor and my case is a cooler master haf 932. I'll be transporting it on my own car, so I'll be handling it myself.

What's the best way to go about transporting the computer? Should I disassemble all the components? Or should I just pack it in a cardboard box with styrofoam. Would just putting it in the car work?

i would just throw it on the back seat on its side.

Have a quick check that nothings worked loose before you turn it back on :)

As fimbles said - and I also buckle it in. I pull the seatbelt straps all the way so they lock, then make sure that I place the belts so the machine won't move around while I'm driving. Sometimes I do such a good job that getting the machine back out is the hard part.

I recommend taking out the hard drives and transporting them in a way that is less bumpy, such as in a small box in bubblewrap. Make sure everything inside the PC is properly seated and screwed in. I, personally, put the case on the floor between the drivers seat and the back seat behind it. Keeps it upright and prevents too much movement. That probably only works so well because that space is the same size as my PC. :haha:

If you have a very heavy heatsink that you worry that will bend or break off, remove it before transporting the computer.

We, too, would take out the hard drives and transport them separately. Remember you are protecting your data, images, and software. You probably don't want to spend an extra day at your new address re-installing software, or re-creating files.

Other than that, your greatest risk from an accident while en route... so you want to protect against unknown, unexpected events. I would seal mine (monitor and case separately) in a new plastic bag, such as garbage back... then put the bagged computer in a box full of plastic shipping beads, or pillows or other "stuff" that will absorb shock.

I would place it in a vehicle in such a way that it cannot slide around... maybe using rubberized tie-downs or rope affixed to an unmovable surface.

People do this every day in amazingly casual ways without any harm, but over the years we have seen a few totally ruined computers

I wouldn't transport the case upright if you have a very big heatsink on your CPU. Lay it on its side (right side as looking from the front). Unless you are traveling a long distance over some really rough roads I wouldn't be terribly concerned about the hard drives, they can take pretty big shocks if they aren't spinning.

Transport your monitor upright in its original box if you have it, if you don't, well try to find a way to transport it in the upright position.

The only other concern is if you have a large GPU (usually if you have a non-reference card w/ custom cooling), you might want to take it out and put it in an anti-static bag.

I would as a precaution personally, as the front of the cards are not held in place, and they could flex. Its a 2 minute job to remove them both, 4 screws, 4 power connectors and they're out. So you might as well. I would if it was me anyway.

For a local move, you really do not need to take them out. Only if the computers are boxed, and handled by unknown ship and delivery personnel. We have moved nearly 500 computers in this area that is filled with folks who have different summer and winter addresses... without ever having the cards be a problem.
Just pack to protect against ******... Remove and separately pack the hard drives. Box or transport the computer so the motherboard is on its back rather than its side so the CPU cooler is in its most stable position.
We ship computers across Utah, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, Montana, New Mexico, and Mexico with nary a problem. eBay computer resellers ship clear across the country with almost no problems if the computer is boxed in foam or packing beads, with protective plastic sheeting to keep dirt and moisture out.
The greatest risk seems to be moisture from being left outside at some point in the transport process.

Back