How to "un-brick" Seagate Cheetah hard drive

pioneerx01

I have a SAS Seagate Cheetah, 300GB 15K.5 Hard Drive that is recognized by BIOS but shown no other information. The drive does not show up nor is accessible. It is mechanically sound I just can not access it. I have tied SeagateTool's but it is pointless. I am looking for some creative way of un-bricking this drive to extract data from it. I do not care if the drive survives much afterward.

Thanks

please describe what is shown in the Disk Management
right-click My Computer->Manage
go to Disk Management​
ignore the C:\ boot disk and describe whatever else is seen

ST3300655SS. 68pin, Ultra320
It is not in server but in workstation XPx64. Other identical drives are just fine. It is just that one

ST3300655SS. 68pin, Ultra320
It is not in server but in workstation XPx64. Other identical drives are just fine. It is just that one

So you have more than one of these in a series. Just this one is not working? If you remove one of the others drives and place this in there do you have the same issue?
If you do, could be the drive itself DOU (dead on usage)

Yes we have placed this drive on difference controllers and even on different workstation. It is definitely the drive issue. It does however spin up properly and does not make any noises that are not normal operation.

I am tempted to swap up the boards from other working and identical drive with this one and see if I can get it to recognize. Do you think I will have luck that way. I do not care if I trash the drive but we really need the data from this device and professional (multi-thousand) recovery is not really an option.

ouch!

Try one of the Linux CDs like Knoppix which can boot (without an install)
and access your PC devices.

You will get an Icon on the desktop for each HD found *and* which is mountable.

I'm no expert at this, but if the drive can be heard to spin up (without sounding like its about to self-destruct), and its showing (even as unknown) in BIOS/Disk Management Console then its fair to assume its mechanically sound.

If you have an identical drive then like you suggested, swap out the board, and then try it again.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but if I was experiencing those symptoms I would be swapping the board over. I'd also be suspecting the HDD board as the cause of the problem too.

I have already tries with same results. And I am sure that the other board is sound as the other HDD is functioning properly, even with the board from the "broken" HDD. I have already tries various methods everything from boot disks, to cooling the HDD down to shaking it.

Back