HP Elitebook 8440P - five crashed

Hello Forum,
I have had an unfortunate week...

Five computers, all from HP, have required OS reinstall following this pattern: user reports computer is trying to automatically update; then the computer re-boots itself; and subsequently the computer will only boot to the Safe Mode screen.

On each computer, a System Restore was performed adequately, and it seemed to temporarily fix the issues. Sadly, however, each OS was subsequently discovered to contain "unrecoverable" problems and required installation.

Is anyone aware of what the problem could have been? The following is supplied:
OS - Windows XP SP 3
Antivirus - AVG
PGP - full disk encryption
MalWare Bytes - malware scanning.

I am concerned that disparate systems not connected to the same LAN (these computers were deployed in the field and accessed the WWW via wireless connection could all have the same issue.) I have contacted HP for causal issues and requested remedy.

As an aside, I found HP's tech support to be wanting.

-Steve King, MBA, MEd
IT/Privacy Officer

My first thought is that all these PC's have been infected with the same Malware.

Are they all running both AVG and Malwarebytes, that can cause issue if both AV's are active at the same time. Also, AVG has been known to cause some problems with certain firewalls, do you have third party firewalls installed.

A system restore may have pushed back a Malware infection which then multiplied again. The full OS reinstallation would have erased erased it completely.

Rogue Malware

I will look at the MalwareBytes and AVG issue. It has never caused a problem before. I am not runing third party firewalls.

It's very confusing and quite frustrating.

-Steve King

I believe that AVG 9 will run OK with Malwarebytes but will slow down the system and might cause some instability. If you have a later version of AVG up to 11 it is known to cause instability with Malwarebytes. (Each manufacturer blames the other)

Your PC's will improve in performance and there will be no possible instability issues if you remove both AV's and install Microsoft Security Essentials. This is excellent AV software and it is free.

Use this to uninstall AVG.

http://www.avg.com/gb-en/download-tools

Malwarebytes can be uninstalled using its own uninstaller, just make sure in task manager that it is no longer running or you will get an error message.

Download MSE from here, making sure you select the correct OS and bit rate.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/support.aspx?mkt=en-us

Interesting development

Of the computers I mentioned, I was able to ship two off to HP under their warranty.

They came back with Windows 7 loaded.

Hmmm.

-Steve King

OK, that's two sorted out. I would get MSE installed on them.

So, have you followed my last post re the version of AVG.

AVG vs MSE

Mark 56,
I am doing some more reading - but I appreciate the insight. Changes in this company cause rippling effects of horror and doom (well...maybe not THAT bad...but...let's just say that only one who appreciates change around here is a wet baby.).

I am not running the resident protection of MalwareBytes...just have it for the "What on earth is this" need. AVG is primary and has caused zero problems on any other machines.

My contact with HP has pretty much blamed Microsoft (and their apparent lack of response to him) for sluggish updates for Windows XP - but I know that XP is nearing the end of its lifecycle, too. Perhaps the easiest, and best long term solution, is to migrate all the company assets to Windows 7.

Understood.

Migrating everything to Windows 7 would be a good solution, it is an excellent OS. XP will no longer be supported in about four years time so probably a wise move.

AVG version 11 has caused issues even when running without other AV's and a change to MSE has been the solution.

Shame the actual route of the problem could not have been found.

Back