HP G6000 laptop wireless stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using Vista Home edition.

A good few months ago my laptops wireless stopped working, nothing to do with me. Since that I've been using a wireless adapter which worked fine until I managed to brake it.
Can anyone help me get my laptops wireless working again?
It light is indicating that it is switched off, amber. It should be blue.
I have tryed switching it off and on many times. I've tryed system restore, everything.
I'm affraid to take the back off and I have no money to get it fixed.
If anyone has any ideas I will be very grateful.
Thanks, Laura-Jayne.

Sorry I posted this in the wrong section before.

It may be just a matter of reinstalling the wireless driver. You can find this driver at the HP support site, under your laptops model number. Your laptop may be infected with a virus or other malware

The driver would be listed under Wireless LAN drivers. Broadcom Wireless LAN would be my first chioce, Atheros would be my second choice. The actual model number would be useful too... Something like G6030EA etc

G6000 wireless assistant

I have the same problem with the wireless assistant, i can't even open it in the Control Panel menu. Laura did you manage to fix it by reinstalling the driver?
thanks

there is a issue with the motherboard not being able to handle the vid cards that causes overheating... The wireless nic on most of those series are going at one point or another. As per what I have read HP is not doing much about it. there is some driver for overheating issues but does not do much.

hope this helped

I would disable onboard wireless nic in the bios and then install a newer PC-card for 802.11g/n into either PCI-E slot or PCMCIA slot on the side of the laptop.

You could do that but this is probably a EU laptop like the one he're and they dont come with a pcmcia slot. to install newer pc card got to opener up. usb might do it. they run pretty hot so it definatly is a fan problem... if the nic went something else will.... I might open this up and tweak the fan and see what it does. v I\ll keep you all posted

You could do that but this is probably a EU laptop like the one he're and they dont come with a pcmcia slot. to install newer pc card got to opener up. usb might do it. they run pretty hot so it definatly is a fan problem... if the nic went something else will.... I might open this up and tweak the fan and see what it does. v I\ll keep you all posted

Oh one of those.. Then USB adapter but still disable the onboard wireless Nic controller.

Yes that would work but the problem still will stay... Bad board, looking for furure prblems. I am in talks with HP.. After talking to a tech for about 10 min they escalated the call. I asked the supervisor to explain the specs of the laptop to me and he could not even come close to an answer on anything. I got him confused as I am a real tech...lol I will post my results with them... I know for a fact that there is a recall on those boards but you have to fight to get it.. I am way out of warenty so if I am able to get another one anyone can. We will have to wait and see

Yes that would work but the problem still will stay... Bad board, looking for furure prblems. I am in talks with HP.. After talking to a tech for about 10 min they escalated the call. I asked the supervisor to explain the specs of the laptop to me and he could not even come close to an answer on anything. I got him confused as I am a real tech...lol I will post my results with them... I know for a fact that there is a recall on those boards but you have to fight to get it.. I am way out of warenty so if I am able to get another one anyone can. We will have to wait and see

Well replacing the MOBO with a HP tech should only take him or her 2 hrs or less. If this is a know issue they HP will take care of your problem.

it should not be a problem, I was working for them at one point and the service was allot better then. I should get a call from them in the next days! I think they will have to fix a few other things as the wifi went on it as well and the VGA is going... Not the greatest of products but what can you do

thanks

Another HP G6000 wifi failed!

Thanks for the forum entries! My daughter's G6000 has failed typically about after 18 months of light use. Cannot connect to Internet via wifi nor cable. Wireless driver has disappeared. Tried to restore to factory settings, got connection briefly then nothing. Assumed some heating/connection problems with the wireless card but now suspect the nic as well. Purchased for Christmas 2007 so out of warranty but its really not fit for purpose and does go against our Consumer Protection Act that it should last for a reasonable time. Sorry about the rant, but this is the first time that i've seen other people sadly with similar problem. I would be interested to hear of any developments. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back