HP has found a new way to add ink cartridge DRM to your printer

nanoguy

Staff member
WTF?! Just when you thought that printer companies had exhausted all possibilities of adding DRM to your printer, HP is here to prove there's always another way. The International Imaging Technology Council has recently accused the company of "greenwashing" its products. This is allegedly a ploy to hide questionable business practices related to HP+ printers.

When HP is not bricking its printers with poorly-coded firmware that stays unpatched for weeks, the company is hard at work finding new ways to prevent its customers from using third-party ink for fear of leaving money on the table for other companies.

This behavior has landed HP in hot waters in Europe and the US, which is why last year it agreed to pay compensation totaling $1.35 million to customers who were impacted by its printer cartridge DRM shenanigans.

This relates to a feature the company introduced in 2016 called Dynamic Security that was supposedly designed to help them avoid subpar ink, but turned out to be more of a reaction to rival suppliers chipping away at one of HP's biggest profit drivers using relatively inexpensive ink and toner cartridges.

As noted by The Verge, HP was already working on a new way to screw consumers as far back as 2020, when everyone's attention was pointed at a small and invisible threat that sent large parts of the world into lockdown. At the time, the company described it as the "most modern and simple printing solution on the market," along with a promise that "every page printed is balanced off with investments to help protect and restore forests in equal measure."

What's interesting about this scheme is that it is disguised as an offer that appeals to a lot of consumers looking for a better deal for their printing needs. There's a good reason why Amazon's best-selling printer is the HP Deskjet 2755e. For $95, the company is offering a wireless color printer that can also scan documents and comes with six months of free ink delivered to your door every time your cartridges are about to run out.

That last part is important because there's no such thing as free in the printer industry. On paper, claiming the free ink means buying into a subscription service called HP+, which extends your printer's warranty by one year, gives you access to the HP Smart app, and gives you bragging rights for helping the company protect the environment by planting trees for every page you print. Once the free period runs out, you can choose an appropriate payment plan best suited to your printing needs.

Image credit: Laurie Hise

In reality, once the six months of free ink have passed you're automatically locked into a subscription that draws you away from cheaper ink or toner and into the land of genuine HP supplies. This practice had gone unnoticed until this week when the International Imaging Technology Council (IITC) filed a complaint against the company over what it deems as improper use of the EPEAT label to promote its HP+ products as eco-friendly.

The EPEAT certification requires the products in question to allow the use of non-manufacturer and remanufactured cartridges. However, The Verge was able to confirm with ink distributors like CompAndSave that third-party manufacturers have yet to find a way to serve customers that bought an HP+ printer.

You can technically cancel your HP+ subscription, but you'd still be using the same firmware that blocks third-party cartridges. IITC says HP has issued several firmware updates over the past two months that are designed to strengthen the ink cartridge DRM. And the company clearly states in the Instant Ink terms and conditions that it reserves the right to perform remote monitoring of everything you're doing with your printer, including what devices you use to initiate print jobs. It will also remotely patch the firmware on your printer without informing you ahead of time.

More importantly, disconnecting your HP+ printer from the Internet will disable the cartridges, and the only way to use your printer again is to buy "regular HP cartridges." It's like the online-only DRM that video game companies employ with technologies like Denuvo, with the added inconvenience of being charged for your HP+ subscription until you decide to cancel it. And the moment you cancel HP+, the associated cartridges are disabled.

HP has been able to get away with these practices when it comes to HP+ printers through careful language in their documentation, but the IITC is determined to get the Global Electronics Council to remove the EPEAT certification on HP+ printers and review all other HP products for potential improper use of the label in question.

The IITC complaint doesn't have the power of a lawsuit, but it should act as a reminder that consumers need to vote with their wallets when companies like HP try to disguise holding you hostage to their own products as eco- and consumer-friendly design. As of writing, four of the top ten best-selling printers on Amazon are HP+ printers, but you would most likely be better served by something like the $99 Brother MFC-J1010DW or the $130 MFC-J1205W.

Permalink to story.

I'll never buy an Inkjet. I always investigate when I'm in the market for a printer. Laser printers are extremely inexpensive, and I search for LPs that have a low cost for the toner cartridges. In the past, I've chosen Brother, but I currently have a multi-function Canon. When my Xerox color runs out of Toner, I'll look for something else since the cost of the toner cartridges will likely exceed that of buying a new color laser manufactured by a company other than Xerox.

I'll never buy an Inkjet. I always investigate when I'm in the market for a printer. Laser printers are extremely inexpensive, and I search for LPs that have a low cost for the toner cartridges. In the past, I've chosen Brother, but I currently have a multi-function Canon. When my Xerox color runs out of Toner, I'll look for something else since the cost of the toner cartridges will likely exceed that of buying a new color laser manufactured by a company other than Xerox.
Depends what printer you have, of course the OEM cartridges cost a bomb, but the 3rd party reconditioned or refilled ones are a lot less, and unless you find one for a steal, they still tend to cost more than a printer refill (talking about used market of course)

If You buy printer from manufacturer with known DRM cartridges, in 21 century, You totally deserves to pay extra.
Like literally, if You research for few minutes online, You will find a brand that doesn't have cartridges, but You just fill up a tank with ink.

I never had much luck with "cheap" ink carts, they either clog, dry up, or even leak way too soon, thereby wasting money over and over. At least the Instant Ink sub works out to be a LOT less expensive solution than buying real ink carts yourself.

Great article, it has all the needed info about the ink cartridge industry and how Corporate printer manufacturer like HP gauge buyers to rip them off more money.
Best advices: Better do not buy new HP printers. Especially ink printers. Had so many issues with their new printers that is not worth the money and most important, the time. Their installation software is so complicated, full of bloatware, and very often I could not install it because of random errors. I want to intsall only the driver, nothing else more. HP made so complicated to install a printer or a scanner . And better do not buy multi-functionals like PrinterScanner because if Scanner has a malfunction, you cannot use the printer and vice-versa. And guess what? Those PrinterScanners quite often has one of them with issues.

In this day and age I don't know why there are still uninformed people who wanted cartridge style inkjet printers. as I've said again and again ink-tank style inkjet printer has been around for a decade now. all you need to do is to pour the ink just like you're pouring your morning coffee.

it's just probably the people who kept buying alkaline AA batteries for their power hungry toys and spending tons of money not knowing that rechargeable ni-mh exists.

HP certainly make mistakes but build quality seems good. I have an ancient HP6940 single function printer that must be almost 20 years old. It doesn’t welcome non-oem cartridges. After a warning it accepts them (but doesn’t allow any ink level checks). It takes two cartridges – a black and a a tri-color cartridge with the heads built in. This makes the HP cartridges expensive but you can get compatibles and the better suppliers will guarantee their product. It also helps avoid death through head clogging that destroyed my models from Epson and Canon over the years.

As a replacement we’ll be buying one of the ink-tank printers most likely an HP or Epson. Canon worked great initially but the build is poor and they had a short life. It’s annoying that HP went over the top with their attempts to lock in purchasers but this is no longer worth making such a fuss about. I bought an HP desktop and am very pleased with it. I received messages about the warranty ending and a customer feedback survey. That was so annoying. It said it would only take a few minutes to complete but went on and on. It was a means of collecting excessive customer data so I abandoned it. The big issue with HP is why they are so deaf to their customers. They are not alone in this. It’s the absence of any repair service for printers of whatever make that really rankles.

Last edited:
Depends what printer you have, of course the OEM cartridges cost a bomb, but the 3rd party reconditioned or refilled ones are a lot less, and unless you find one for a steal, they still tend to cost more than a printer refill (talking about used market of course)
Inkjets might be good for you and that's fine. However, they are not for me. I still will never buy one. I've owned one in the past, but never again.

It's not unusual, I mean a subscription model exists on alot of things these days. Netflix, glovo, even Microsoft office products etc.

Problem is this vendor lock in which HP seems to excel in. Usually the home use printers are for sale for less then € 50 including inkt in populair stores,

But the amount of inkt is only for a xx amount of documents before it runs out. And another package or set is over € 20 easily.

We all should have the right to put whatever piece of inkt we want; it's not like the hardware for € 50 is super expensive to maintain.

The units usually bork within a year of use. Talking about eco / e-waste, because fixing it is 99.9% more expensive then buying a new one.

The situation has hopefully changed and new ink-tank models will put an end to the ink cartridge bonanza. If build quality then becomes the selling point together with a back up service offering sensible repairs and refurbishments the ink jet mountain at rubbish tips will go away over time. For home users an inkjet printer still offers maximum flexibility including the occasional colour printt.

"I bought a Brother color Laser 8 years ago.... whats an ink cartridge..?"
An inkjet printer is much smaller than a laser printer and costs a fraction of the price. For most home users laser models, particularly those with a colour option, are not an attractive purchase. It’s annoying but inkjets still make sense.

Do they still make continuous ink systems? I used one of those for a few years it was great. You just had to make sure you didn't let the heads dry up. Print at least a test pattern every day.

"Do they still make continuous ink systems? I used one of those for a few years it was great. You just had to make sure you didn't let the heads dry up. Print at least a test pattern every day."
I certainly didn't know about that. We don't print every day and in the hot months there is a real danger of print heads clogging up. If only my HP6940 deskjet would last forever.

If lasers are so good we need a further push in development to get the size, price and colour options within reach of the majority of home users.

Back