HP Inspiron crashes, not sure of cause, advice needed

Hi Guys.

About 3 months ago, my laptop started to act up.
The screen would get jumpy, horizaontal lines flashign across it, and then it would cut out. (altho lights are still on , the screen would be black) I would turn it off and turn it on ,and it may not happen again for a day week or even month.

Now things have worsened , it now happens every session often failing to start altogether. The jumping has worsened too, it can become heavily pixalated and distorted, making a weird noise, as if the audio has been caught while it froze. Sometimes the screen goes black and the audio continues as normal for a few seconds, then dies too.

Sometimes a blue screen appears telling me it is dumping physical memory, this scares me , so i usually turn it off quickly.

Im noit sure if the following is correlation or causation, but occasionally this jumping and freezing etc is brought about by me moving the screen of laptop slightly. IT does seem to last longer if i have the laptop some where stationary.

All in all, im very confused, i brought it to a repair shop and he told me it was not the hardrive so must be the motherboard and therefore v.expensive. I didnt really get the trusting vibe off him ,so im worried hes just saying that so i spend big cash with him.

Im trying to decide what the problem is, any ideas?
If it is the motherboard , is it worth fixing?
If i do buy a new laptop, is there any resale in mine for parts?

If you require any further details im happy to try, but i dont have much computer knowledge, hence why my title is not very techy.

Cheers guys,.

Shane

"HP Inspiron crashes"...

You must mean Dell Inspiron, don't you? What is the model or service tag number?

woops

sorry its a HP pavillion dv6

any ideas?

Im happy to pay to get it fixed, but when i bring it into the shop, im worried they will tell me its the most expensive repair option when for all i kno it could just be dust.??

Cheers for ur help,

"making a weird noise"
This could be from a failing fan or a failing hard drive. From your listed symptoms, it seems like a cooling fan issue. As far as the cost of the repair, it could range from $50...

Back