HP laptop hard drive needs replacing

learninmypc

I think I've mentioned it in here before. Its an older HP compaq Presario Model # 17XL4
Original OS was Win ME. When I first got it 5 or 6 years ago, it had a bogus XP Pro OS on it & I put a genuine copy on it & it was working fine till the harddrive died one day.
I know the harddrive is a goner because I've tried putting XP Pro on it a couple times since & its a no go.
I'd like to find a new/rebuilt harddrive for it so I can get it back up & running. It'll be used for email & reading only. Any ideas?
I don't have a ton of $$$ so......TIA:)

SATA or IDE hard drive? If it's the latter, I wouldn't bother. Those are harder to find and cost more than same capacity SATA drive. At least that's how it was when I looked for one for my Toshiba Satellite 335 couple years ago. It's like RAM for old computer, cost more and hard to find.

I can't get a good enough picture of it, so I'll show these.
2013-04-09 11-12-07.374.jpg 2013-04-09 11-13-24.420.jpg
Looking at it, I can't see anything showing sata or ide

Sorry, can't tell anything from the pictures. Looks like it's 15 GB.

Have you removed the drive from the laptop? Should be able to tell what connection it uses.

Look at the type of data and power connections it has on the end of the drive.

Sorry, can't tell anything from the pictures. Looks like it's 15 GB.

Have you removed the drive from the laptop? Should be able to tell what connection it uses.
Those pictures are showing it out of the laptop laying on a table.
It does say
"Replace with Compaq Spare 221126-001
then a barcode below that & then P/N; 3141BS1005A"
On the next sticker it says
Hitachi Harddisk drive :DK23BA-15.
It is a 15gb hhd.
mailpup, here is a picture of the connection
2013-04-09 11-34-33.168.jpg
I know, not the best.It has 43 pins.

So, you just need to google and see what fits your price range. You have the drive out, so you know it's dimension. You know it's an IDE drive. Not sure about the capacity, your laptop might be able to accept a larger capacity drive.

Back