HP notebook hangs when going to sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigredmachine

When I put my hp dv9500t to sleep the screen goes blank but it does not turn off. If i press a key or touch the touchpad it comes back on, flases "locking computer" then gives me the windows login screen. The weird thing is that it only does this when it is plugged in. I am using vista ultimate. Whats the deal with this?? Im totally stumped. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks, sid

two quick things

1) are you sure all windows updates/fixes have been applied?
2) Go to the hp site. Click Support. look up your model number and check if they have a fix/answer to your problem

I have made sure that I have all of the updates and I went to the HP support site but found little help. Somewhere in the control panel there was a message saying that my fingerprint reader was causing a problem with sleep mode but after uninstalling, reinstalling, and updating the driver it still does not work.

Note the commands below are only intended for Vista users. These commands will not work with XP

Let's check if any interesting messages appear in your Windows Event Logs

=> First, recreate the error/problem condition so that any Event Log messages we find will be very recent
=> Click Start->Programs->Accessories->Notepad
=> Copy the text from the code box text below into Notepad. Save the file on your desktop with a .txt extension
=> Rename the file to change its file extension from .txt to .bat
=> Double click the file to run it. This should create 2 files on your desktop: SystemEvents.txt and ApplEvents.txt
=> Attach both of the files to your next TechSpot post

Code:
wevtutil qe system /c:50 /rd:true /f:text /q:"*[System[(Level=1 or Level=2 or Level=3)]]" > "%userprofile%\desktop\SystemEvents.txt"
wevtutil qe application /c:50 /rd:true /f:text /q:"*[System[(Level=1 or Level=2 or Level=3)]]" > "%userprofile%\desktop\ApplEvents.txt"

I created the text file and saved it to the desktop but I cant seem to figure out how to change it to a .bat...what should i do?

So, for example, if you have a file zzzz.txt on your desktop

1. Rt click on the filename to see it's context menu. Select Rename
2. You can now modify any part of the file name. Simply change .txt to .bat (remember you need the period)
3. Single click the name agains makes it so it's not renamable. Windows may give you a warning about changing extensions... Click Yes (as you really do want to change the extension in this case)
4. Now, our example is named zzzz.bat so you could just double click it to run it.

To see the file extension make sure you have the 'hide extensions for known file types' unticked.
To do this you can open my computer --- tools --- folder options --- view --- and then untick the 'hide extensions for known file types' apply and ok. Now you will see the .txt extension at the end of your text document.

To see the file extension make sure you have the 'hide extensions for known file types' unticked.
To do this you can open my computer --- tools --- folder options --- view --- and then untick the 'hide extensions for known file types' apply and ok. Now you will see the .txt extension at the end of your text document.

A good point! (Thanks, account73. ). I usually don't hide my extensions (and forgot it's not the default). btw.. i personally suggest leaving extensions unhidden as just easier to see and find things and also can make it harder for malware to hide that way too.

Okay thanks guys for the help..changing the file extension is something i feel like i should have known but i got it taken care of..ive got the files attached...

If you want I can get try to get it to go into standby to get it to hang so i will know what time it actaully happened to help narrow it down

haven't looked through the logs yet, but two other things occured to me
1. Lets assure you don't have any driver issues (especially none related to power management)
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post

2. Do you have any USB or other external devices connected? If yes, for this experiment, shut down your computer. Unplug all USB / external devices. Power up. Now try putting it in sleep mode to see if the result is any different.

1. No problem devices showed up
2. I don't have any devices hooked up

I installed the new bios update as well but it didn't help any

Well, nothing solid to report but a few things to note / follow-up with
  • Are you running 32- or 64-bit Windows?(here's how to check)
  • Open a command prompt window.
    => Enter powercfg -a
    => Pls tell me if it say states S1 and S3 are available on your computer?
  • Refer to this troubleshooting guide to check your Power Management Options and BIOS settings, device sleep settings, etc
  • Double check your video driver version is most up to date (as noted in above guide)
  • Don't know if it's related but i see two Cyberlink related services always hang on startup.
    => CyberLink Task Scheduler (CTS) and CyberLink Background Capture Service (CBCS)
    => Rt click My Computer, select Manage->Services and Applications->Services
    => Change the Startup Type for both these services to Disabled (so they won't be loaded or started)
Just in case none of the above would help, I have a few other ideas where we check for hanging processes and services when you try to sleep. Let me know if the above help or not (i'm also curious about the "fingerprint reader" message you reported at one time.. but we'll wait on that too till we see if above help or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back