HP offers basic quad-core Android tablet for $100

Julio Franco

Staff member

HP was for a long time the #1 PC manufacturer worldwide, and yet it's better known in the tablet world for its bargain sale of $99 HP TouchPad webOS tablets after the Palm acquisition went awry.

Following some experimentation in the past year with low-cost tablets, HP is coming to the US with a modest Android offering that is set to sell for $100.

The HP 7 Plus, is a Cortex A7-based quad-core 7-inch slate powered by Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Other specs include a 1024x600 IPS display, 1GB of RAM, 8GB of storage, 2MP/0.3MP rear and front cameras,  and a 2800 mAh Lithium polymer battery that is good for an unimpressive 5.5 hours between charges. Storage is expandable via microSD and 25GB of free Box storage for life.

This is the same 0.65-pound tablet that's been offered in Europe since March but it's coming to the US market just now.

GigaOM is calling this segment the “drugstore tablets,” and the moniker couldn't be more accurate. Rather than competing in the mid or high-end tablet market where Apple, Samsung, Google and Amazon reign, HP appears to be going after the more thoughtless $100-and-below buys that often go to no-name brands, hoping to leverage its brand and gain the favor of consumers that are looking for just a tablet.

Permalink to story.

Never had a tablet, never really seen the point of it when I have both a good size smartphone and a laptop. But maybe I'll give this one a try, the price seems right.

Sounds like it might be a decent starter tablet for kids or grandparents, especially those who do not have a smartphone or a laptop. My 8 year old has a cheap HKC 7" android tablet, but it is often frustrating for her (and me) to use, with its slow single core processor, limited storage, and low-res screen.

And you'll be surprised how well this thing will sell. Not everybody wants or needs an iPad or Surface 3 or can even afford them. I gave away my Nexus 7 because it was a white elephant but if I was to ever look at tablets again this is the kind of thing I'd look at.

Last edited:
This is a firsts time in a long time I have seem some sign of intelligence in the sales strategy from HP to be really competitive in a particular segment. Also with this tab who is to say it will not convert some mid range / segment buyers into going for a cheaper alternative since most of the tab buyers are just looking for a larger screen as the starting point.

Hp has been doing this for over a year now, we had the original slate 7 in store, sold for 150 and went on sale for $120. This just seems like the same case and screen but with a new, more powerful, soc. For the price there actually nice tablets, Hp does compete in the higher end tablet markets though a quick look at the hp website would have shown you that, great research... I would still take dells venue 8 over this though only like $30 difference for a intel soc and a better screen and battery life.

Back