HP Printer USB Device not Recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am up and running with my computer, and have 4 usb ports in the back, 2 are being used for the mouse and keyboard, but no matter what port I plug my pinter into, the two remaining in the back, or the two in the front, I always get the error message of "Usb Device not recoginzed". This printer was working fine with my old computer, and I unfortunately do not have the installation disk for it. I am able to plug the mouse and keyboard into different USB ports and they work fine on all of them. I have attempted installing new drivers, and the install disk off of hp.com, and still no success. I have attempted to run the HP utility program and it doesn't recognize the printer, even though when I was on HP.com and checked to see if I had updated drivers, it showed my printer.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you have XP have you tried using Add/Remove hardware and doing a manual install? Many HP printers have drivers already in XP.

Basically, you describe a problem but give no actual data (OS, model of HP printer, etc).

"Usb Device not recoginzed". This printer was working fine with my old computer,

When using a USB device, it is necessary to do the hardware installation first, then add the software. The fact that it was working on the "old" computer means that the installation was done correctly. But you can't just plug it in to a new computer and expect it to start working!

Find the software program on an HP site. Download and SAVE to your desktop. Using the hardware install Wizard, install the hardware- the printer itself, then run the software from the setup on the desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back