HP quietly launches Split x2, 13-inch Windows 8 convertible

Shawn Knight

Staff member

HP has quietly launched a new Windows 8 convertible notebook with the help of Best Buy. Priced at $749 at Best Buy (which seems to be the only place to purchase it as of writing), the Split x2 now joins HP’s lineup alongside the Envy x2 with a larger display and an Intel processor in tow.

The system is fitted with a 13.3-inch HD LED-backlit touch screen operating at 1,366 x 768 and is powered by a third generation Intel Core i3 processor clocked at 1.4GHz. Why manufacturers continue to release “new” products with Ivy Bridge instead of Haswell is beyond me, but I digress.

windows windows 8 hp convertible tablet

The Split x2 also ships with 4GB of system memory (expandable to 8GB), a 128GB solid state drive and utilizes Intel HD Graphics 4000. Other specifications include 802.11n Wi-Fi, USB 3.0, card reader, front-facing HP TrueVision webcam with integrated microphone, HDMI, combo audio jack and Beats Audio. The system features two 3-cell batteries (one in the tablet and one in the detachable keyboard dock) although neither HP nor Best Buy mentions any battery life claims.

windows windows 8 hp convertible tablet

The tablet portion of the system weighs 2.3 pounds and measures 0.4-inches thick. When connected to the keyboard base, the total weight jumps up to 4.9 pounds – a bit hefty for an Ultrabook but not shocking so considering there are two batteries involved.

At $749, it’s priced competitively compared to other Windows 8 convertibles but whether or not it brings enough to the table remains to be seen.

Permalink to story.

No wonder it went in quiet: The era of 1,366 x 768 is over, HP, and 2.3 pound in detached mode is a brick.

They should have called it Spit X2, or replace the p with an h, so it could represent the Windows OS it uses.

"Why manufacturers continue to release ?new? products with Ivy Bridge instead of Haswell is beyond me, but I digress".
Probably to get rid of existing stock.

Back