HP to release 7-inch webOS tablet in August?

Emil

Staff

Inventec, a major contract manufacturer of personal computers in Taiwan, has received big-ticket orders for tablet PCs from Hewlett Packard. HP has reportedly ordered 400,000 to 450,000 TouchPad tablets per month, and will sometime in August launch a 7-inch tablet. Inventec will supply HP these two tablet PC models, according to a subcontractor cited by the Taiwan Economic Times.

HP is Inventec's largest buyer of notebook PCs, but has yet to confirm that Inventec is its largest contract manufacturer of tablet PCs. Inventec is aiming to supply smartphones, tablet PCs, electronic books, portable navigation devices, this year in order to enjoy a larger growth due to the shipments of new products.

HP, the world's largest PC maker, is only now entering the tablet PC arena with the HP TouchPad. Of course, we've expected that HP would release more than just one tablet, but August just seems too soon. If it really is coming just one month after the HP TouchPad is officially released, we would have expected HP to announce the product by now, and details would have leaked even before then. We'll have to watch this rumor closely: a 7-inch tablet is definitely in the works, but the timing just seems off.

The HP TouchPad is a 9.7-inch slate (1024 x 768 resolution), powered by a dual-core 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon APQ8060 processor, 16GB or 32GB of built-in storage, 1GB of RAM, HP's Beats audio, a micro-USB 2.0 port, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, a front-mounted 1.3MP camera, as well as a light sensor, gyroscope, accelerometer, compass, and GPS (3G model only). It measures 242 x 190 x 13.7mm and weighs around 740g. The device is running a WebOS 3.0 with true multitasking, Flash 10.1, a paneled e-mail application, a pop-up notification system like Growl, Skype support, wireless printing, calendar and e-mail integration via HP Synergy, as well as compatibility with Amazon's Kindle ebook store, Google Docs, QuickOffice, and more.

Optional accessories (sold separately) for the HP TouchPad include the HP Touchstone Charging Dock, the HP TouchPad Wireless Keyboard, and the HP TouchPad Case. These are expected to be priced at $80, $70, and $50, respectively.

Preorders for the Wi-Fi version of the HP TouchPad in North America and Europe have already begun, and that the US release date is slated for July 1, 2011. The device will be available from US retailers, commercial resellers, and direct from HP with the option of either 16GB ($500.00) or 32GB ($600.00) of internal storage. HP's first webOS tablet will be available in the UK, Ireland, France, and Germany a few days later and in Canada in mid-July, with availability scheduled to follow later this year in Italy and Spain, as well as in Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand, and Singapore.

Permalink to story.

Low-res, needed at least 1280 x 800, too heavy, no card slot and no battery life and other specs, and accessories sold separately, so too expensive.You have to love HP and WebOS to buy one!

Mm I would say hp is on the right track but their pricing and specs are slightly off. I give them credit for doing more than most table releases. As soneone stated above, to low res(1024 x 768 is the min any pc should *ever* run), 1 gig memory feels to small but the other features feel quite strong(bluetooth, front camera, gps, dual core and 16\35 gigs of space). Their pricing on accessories are out insanely expenive...right products but insanely expenive. Makes me wonder what companys think we make in a month...

Scott8090 said:
Mm I would say hp is on the right track but their pricing and specs are slightly off. I give them credit for doing more than most table releases. As soneone stated above, to low res(1024 x 768 is the min any pc should *ever* run), 1 gig memory feels to small but the other features feel quite strong(bluetooth, front camera, gps, dual core and 16\35 gigs of space). Their pricing on accessories are out insanely expenive...right products but insanely expenive. Makes me wonder what companys think we make in a month...

All the other companies use 1GB memory. You realize that's ram right?

Also the dual core doesn't mean much when they're both scorpion cores. Dual cores from Nvidia, Ti and Samsung crush the dual cores from Qualcomm.

Princeton said:
Scott8090 said:

Also the dual core doesn't mean much when they're both scorpion cores. Dual cores from Nvidia, Ti and Samsung crush the dual cores from Qualcomm.

I know that means memory, the matter is that 1GB memory is low on any device running on pretty much any Operating system. I guess commenting on this so early in the morning had me miss reading that it said WebOS XD. Still 1 gig in any device is too small, Standard or not tablets have been all but fail devices. About time they release one truly worth something. Dual core this or that, Either way having a dual core such as that is at least a leg up from some others. So many tablets being released with just bad specs beyond belief. 100+ tablets released and how many became much of anything? Not many, If 1 gig memory is the standard, dual cores, and what not then maybe its high time the companies check their tablets to see why they don't sell lol.

scott8090 said:
Princeton said:
Scott8090 said:

I know that means memory, the matter is that 1GB memory is low on any device running on pretty much any Operating system. I guess commenting on this so early in the morning had me miss reading that it said WebOS XD. Still 1 gig in any device is too small, Standard or not tablets have been all but fail devices. About time they release one truly worth something. Dual core this or that, Either way having a dual core such as that is at least a leg up from some others. So many tablets being released with just bad specs beyond belief. 100+ tablets released and how many became much of anything? Not many, If 1 gig memory is the standard, dual cores, and what not then maybe its high time the companies check their tablets to see why they don't sell lol.

1GB is more than enough for Android, iOS, webOS and WP7. You don't understand mobile operating systems and what they require to work properly. Look at the original ipad. It's a perfectly fluent experience with only 256mb of ram.

There's no point in going past 1GB because you would LITERALLY have to run several 3D games simultaneously while decoding 1080p video to even approach 1GB of ram usage, and you'll hit CPU/GPU bottlenecks before that could even happen. Android memory management and mobile app memory usage is much different than iOS and a hell of a lot different desktop operating systems.

As for your statement "100+ tablets released". It's not even close. Over exaggerating isn't a good idea when you're trying to make a point that is supposed to be taken seriously. Then you proceed to say " So many tablets being released with just bad specs beyond belief." Well what the heck do you suppose we do? Nobody has produced an ARM based quad core that can be mass manufactured and Nvidia is just showing us prototype silicon for their quad cores. As long as we have the cpu bottlenecks that only allow for a certain amount of apps to run then there's no reason to go past 1GB of ram, plus increasing the amount of ram would substantially increase the cost of devices.

1GB is more than enough for Android, iOS, webOS and WP7. You don't understand mobile operating systems and what they require to work properly. Look at the original ipad. It's a perfectly fluent experience with only 256mb of ram.

There's no point in going past 1GB because you would LITERALLY have to run several 3D games simultaneously while decoding 1080p video to even approach 1GB of ram usage, and you'll hit CPU/GPU bottlenecks before that could even happen. Android memory management and mobile app memory usage is much different than iOS and a hell of a lot different desktop operating systems.

As for your statement "100+ tablets released". It's not even close. Over exaggerating isn't a good idea when you're trying to make a point that is supposed to be taken seriously. Then you proceed to say " So many tablets being released with just bad specs beyond belief." Well what the heck do you suppose we do? Nobody has produced an ARM based quad core that can be mass manufactured and Nvidia is just showing us prototype silicon for their quad cores. As long as we have the cpu bottlenecks that only allow for a certain amount of apps to run then there's no reason to go past 1GB of ram, plus increasing the amount of ram would substantially increase the cost of devices.

Very Good Argument, I must admit that I am wrong on pretty much everything stated. You have very Solid and Valid points. 100+ tablets released I would say is a exaggeration in regards to the tablets "released". Released tablets was the wrong wording for the point I was attempting to speak of. Tablets stated "to be in development" is no doubt half of or more of that number. Mobile Operating systems Is not my expertise and for that I admittedly Withdraw my statements. Looks like reseach time to make that more my expertise yea! lol.

Scott8090 said:

Very Good Argument, I must admit that I am wrong on pretty much everything stated. You have very Solid and Valid points. 100+ tablets released I would say is a exaggeration in regards to the tablets "released". Released tablets was the wrong wording for the point I was attempting to speak of. Tablets stated "to be in development" is no doubt half of or more of that number. Mobile Operating systems Is not my expertise and for that I admittedly Withdraw my statements. Looks like reseach time to make that more my expertise yea! lol.

No way. Somebody actually admitted being wrong in a Techspot argument. Wait, gimme a sec, let me Print Screen this moment...!

(But seriously though, kudos to you sir.)

Ahhh, I remember a time before vista when your operating system easily ran in 512 mb. 1 gb of memory is actually plenty enough to slap on a full linux distribution, if the processor can handle it.

Morgawr said:
Ahhh, I remember a time before vista when your operating system easily ran in 512 mb. 1 gb of memory is actually plenty enough to slap on a full linux distribution, if the processor can handle it.

Yah now it's like 4GB to do any serious work on Vista or Seven. Crazy how much the OS and applications have enhanced.

Yah now it's like 4GB to do any serious work on Vista or Seven. Crazy how much the OS and applications have enhanced.

I know right!! at least Windows 7 uses the memory more effectively than vista. Heck we can make use of 4 gigs finally lol. You know a company Screws up when even they say their product stunk. Vista and Microsoft anyone XD?

Back