HP unveils seven new all-in-ones for home and business users

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

HP might offload its PC business in the near future, but that's not stopping the company from peddling freshly-designed machines in the meantime. The system vendor has just yanked a tarp off no less than seven new all-in-one computers. With pricing starting a only $400, there's a little something for everyone, though the systems are skewed toward home entertainment and business solutions:

• Omni 120 ($400, September 21) -- A 20-incher with enough horsepower for the common home user. Models will come with the latest silicon from Intel and AMD and up to 750GB of storage.
  • Omni 220 ($800, September 11) -- A pricier 21.5-inch build of the Omni 120 that gains additional luxuries such as HP's Beats Audio engine, a quad-core Intel processor and a fancier "streamlined" design.
  • TouchSmart 320 ($600, October 2) -- HP's budget touchscreen AIO, complete with a 20-inch "free-standing" display that tilts 30 degrees and space between the stand and panel to store your keyboard.

• TouchSmart 420 ($700, September 11) -- Offers the same design as the 320, but receives an upgraded 21.5-inch display. Other potentially different configuration options aren't explained in the press release.

blitz offers

• TouchSmart 520 ($900, September 11) -- The 320's touchscreen is enlarged further to 23 inches. Like the Omni 220, the TouchSmart 520 gains Beats Audio including an optional HP Pulse Subwoofer ($150).

• TouchSmart Elite 7320 ($850, September 21) -- HP's first small business AIO with the same tilt design as the consumer TouchSmart series, a 21.5-inch 1080p display, and Sandy Bridge Core i3, i5 and i7 CPUs.
  • HP Pro 3420 ($600, October) -- A 20-inch workhorse with a webcam and mic suitable for video conferences, Core i3 processors, up to 8GB of RAM and 2TB of storage, as well as HP's ProtectTools.

To justify its volley of all-in-one machines, HP cited figures from IDC and NPD that indicate a rise of consumer interest in compact computing solutions. According to IDC, 15.7% of commercial PC users around the globe intend to purchase an all-in-one in the next 12 months, up from 9.9%. Meanwhile, NPD's research shows that 34% of consumer desktop purchases in July were all-in-ones.

Permalink to story.

Oh PUHLEEZE!!! TouchDUMB is what I call it. Who in the heck wants to sit there like a praying mantis at the stupid touch screen for hours at a time?

I have way-better things to do than to incur further damage to my already over-stressed ulna nerves. Thank you, by the way, to TechSpot for highlighting this story. I'm being quite serious -- I do enjoy reading about ridiculous products that shouldn't exist. We can all learn important lessons from reading about such obvious losers as HP and their TouchMoron PCs...

:)

- S

These all-in-ones are actually very useful particularly when space is an issue, plus you can still use a keyboard and mouse. You don't have to use the touch screen all the time.

HP's market is for business users, predominately front desk personnel, and for entertainment machines, of which these machines work fine. Not everyone needs or even wants a super powerful PC, these machines are good enough for most people. Key word "most"

"34% of consumer desktop purchases in July were all-in-ones."

As you can see, though you may have no need for products like these but there is definitely a market for them.

Actually adding something else to sammyjames, well this kind of PC's exist only because users are forced to watch them as the "most", if instead of having thousands of mixed-mode PC's we had a standard based on cost/max performance PC we wouldnt have crap like this HP being the "most" "normal"

BTW i do agree on what sammyjames said :| TechSpot is too cool to have posts like this one.

I can think of hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people who want to sit there and use touch screens. They're called waitresses.

However, at this price point, HP will not get much market share at all in the point of sale industry. There are dozens of cheaper touch screen computers on the market right now. Throw in a couple of com ports (9 pin) and this is a decent point of sale computer. Without the com ports, these hp touch computers kinda suck. Com ports are antiquated, but nearly everything in the point of sale sector runs on com ports.

Say what you want about these touch screens, but they will make a killing in the future. Its obvious that this is what we're working towards. They may lose money now, but any patents aquired by these will be relished in the future.

Back