HP updates the Elite Dragonfly with optional 5G and Tile tracking, improves internals...

Humza

Staff member
In a nutshell: HP announced plenty of new hardware at CES 2020, including monitors, PCs, and backpacks. Among these products are updated versions of its two premium notebooks: the new Elite Dragonfly G2 and the Spectre x360 15.

Potential buyers of high-end ultrabooks have two new options to choose from with HP's refresh of the Elite Dragonfly and the Spectre x360.

Elite Dragonfly G2

Aimed at business users, the G2 is a rather quickly announced successor to the stylish Elite Dragonfly and boasts multiple security and privacy features, updated internals and a similar exterior. The new model comes with the world's first in-built Tile tracking hardware for smart location tracking.

In case the owner misplaces/loses their laptop, Tile's network of connected devices could be tapped into for making a successful recovery. HP tells Tom's Hardware that it created a Windows app with the Tile team for the Bluetooth-based tracker, integrated for the first time in a Windows-powered device and said to be operational even if the G2 is dead and hasn't been plugged in for weeks.

Another feature on the laptop is HP's third-gen display technology called Sure View Reflect, which uses a copper-colored privacy screen to provide a clear view of the display head-on but turns it into a mirror at other angles for dealing with prying eyes.

In terms of wireless connectivity, optional 5G support will be arriving in the summer, powered by Snapdragon's X55 LTE + 5G modem, with Sprint as the launch carrier. Coming in at 0.99kg, the 13.3-inch lightweight can be equipped with up to a six-core Intel Core i7 (with integrated graphics only) and is offered with two new storage options of 1TB and 2TB PCIe Gen3 NVMe SSD.

Other specs include a 65Wh battery, up to 16GB of soldered LPDDR3 RAM, a 1080p or 4K IPS touchscreen, 2 x USB Type-C with USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3 support, 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 with charging support, 1 x HDMI 1.4 port, a 3.5 mm headphone/mic combo jack and an external nano sim slot.

The Elite Dragonfly G2 will reportedly arrive at the end of this month with a starting price tag of $1,599.

Spectre x360 15

HP's refresh of the 15.6-inch Spectre x360 includes the same CPU upgrades underpinning the Elite Dragonfly G2, but with support for Nvidia graphics (reportedly a GTX 1650Ti for the top-spec model), in a chassis that's 13 percent smaller compared to its predecessor.

The new model also boasts thinner bezels for a 90 percent screen-to-body ratio, an improved trackpad powered by Windows Precision drivers, and Wi-Fi 6 connectivity for faster transfer speeds. There's still only a 4K display on offer that's available in IPS, OLED, and OLED anti-glare spec.

The laptop also uses the smaller IR webcam found in the 13-inch Spectre and features a kill switch, a mute microphone button and a fingerprint reader for privacy- and security-conscious users. HP is also claiming 17 hours of use from a single charge, though the battery capacity is yet unknown.

The remaining options carry on from its predecessor, including 2 x USB Type-C ports with Thunderbolt 3, 1 x USB Type-A port, 1 x HDMI, a microSD slot and a 3.5 mm audio jack. Availability is expected in March with a starting price of $1,599.

Permalink to story.

I appreciate HP designs after that lady took the main position in HP. Before that not so much. Although most of them were ugly back then.

Must admit, I've been really impressed with my HP laptop. My HP Envy is about 3 years old now but with i5, 8GB, 256GB SSD and MX150 GPU it feels fairly quick. It's certainly capable of all the dev work I throw at it. It's pretty tough but also it's a beautiful thing to just look at. Colour me impressed.

Back