HP's 9.7" Topaz tablet fully detailed, has 1.2GHz Snapdragon

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

HP's recently unearthed Topaz tablet has been fully detailed courtesy of leaked documents published by Pre Central. The webOS-based iPad competitor sports a familiar black color scheme with both HP and Palm branding, and it has an identically sized 9.7-inch 1024x768 multitouch display protected by oleophobic Gorilla Glass. Initial reports of a 1.2GHz processor were accurate as the device is powered by Qualcomm's dual-core MSM8660.

HP has matched the first-gen iPad's storage with 16GB, 32GB or 64GB of built-in flash, while the RAM is doubled at 512MB. The Topaz also carries a front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera, two Beats Audio speakers, as well as 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR connectivity. Optional WWAN for HSPA and LTE are expected with CDMA possible later. Sensors include an accelerometer, eCompass, a 3-axis Gyro for gaming, a light sensor, and a microphone.

The device measures 190 x 240 x 13.7mm, weighs around 1.5lbs, and gets up to eight hours of life. About the battery, apparently the Topaz will support an updated version of the Touchstone inductive charging technology that Palm introduced with its smartphones. "Touchstone v2" offers additional "tap to share" functionality that supports wireless picture, music, contact and website sharing, audio and video streaming, printing and more.

The Topaz will be backed by various cloud services, including HP Cloud Drive, Cloud Canvas, as well as Snapfish for photos, Melodeo (and possibly Rhapsody) for music, and BLIO for ereading. Adobe Flash support is said to be a high priority as it's a key differentiator between Apple's products. Rumors suggest that HP plans to ship its webOS slate sometime in early to mid-2011, with an initial sales target between 400,000 and 1.5 million units.

Permalink to story.

Princeton said:
I'd prefer tegra 2. Snapdragon is the vomit bag of smartphone/tablet cpus.

Tegra 2 is the way to go..real soon Tegra 3 oh ya!! Quad core baby on a smartphone. with 1920x1200 on the screen..Better than retina screen display that apples iphone have..

RaiDeR55 said:
Quad core baby on a smartphone. with 1920x1200 on the screen..Better than retina screen display that apples iphone have..

Tegra 3 is not an LCD display.

@Rick
Rai didn't say it was, if you had read the article about the Tegra 3, you'd see that they tout support for up to 1920x1200 with the greatly increased graphical peformance the chip brings.

this should have tegra 2. if this is just snapdragon, then this like ordinary ipad clones with more features. but this is a beauty. the upcoming ipad 2 i believe has a revamped graphics.

Tablets are starting to look all the same for me... in fact, if I were going to get one, I'll choose those with Tegra 2 and Android (because of the app market)... nothing else to care about...

Just because this device is using a less powerful CPU than what is currently available does not mean they did not optimize the OS (we hope).

It is always a balancing act so they can bring the product to market at a reasonable price, power, and battery life. I would not mind to pay more for Pixel Qi screens so that battery life can get better. I wish all venders would offer these screens in a higher end version of the devices.

Remember WebOS is not windows or even Andriod, so you might still be surprised with the performance. These devices need to be as responsive as the iPad. I hope that is at least one area they do not drop the ball. We know multitasking is in there, and the OS was considered very nice. Thus I have high hopes.

If the platform does reach the targeted sales numbers, developers will want to write software. The numbers have to come 1st, but a good and approachable SDK will get the ball rolling.

Guest said:
@Rick
Rai didn't say it was, if you had read the article about the Tegra 3, you'd see that they tout support for up to 1920x1200 with the greatly increased graphical peformance the chip brings.

I'm aware of that and that doesn't change the fact that is not "better than the retina display" which is a completely different technology.

If you want to compare something to the "retina" display, then it needs to be a display... because it has nothing to do with "increase graphical performance" as you kindly point out.

Rick said:
Guest said:
@Rick

I'm aware of that and that doesn't change the fact that is not "better than the retina display" which is a completely different technology.

If you want to compare something to the "retina" display, then it needs to be a display... because it has nothing to do with "increase graphical performance" as you kindly point out.

He was pointing out that tegra will be able to power displays more powerful than the retina display. I'm not sure why you're having trouble with this, me and the guest understood what he meant.

Back