HTTP standard gets first major revision in 16 years, will make web faster and more efficient

Jos

Staff

The foundation of data communication on the web is set to get its first major update since HTTP 1.1 was adopted in 1999. Today the IETF HTTP Working Group has announced it formally approved the HTTP/2 specification, which will now go through some editorial processes before being published as a new standard to be used in browsers and web services.

The proposed standard is actually based on a custom version of the SPDY protocol created by Google -- pronounced “speedy”. Among its several improvements are header field compression, multiplexing to support multiple requests to web servers via a single connection, and cache pushing. All of this results in a faster and more efficient web both at server and client sides. 

Currently, SPDY offers some of these benefits and is already integrated into Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Firefox. However, aside from some major players like Facebook, Twitter and Google, the protocol is not widely supported across the web. To that end Google has already announced it'll combine efforts by retiring SPDY and switching to HTTP/2 in Chrome going forward.

HTTP/2 uses the same HTTP APIs that developers are familiar with so the transition, while it may require so tweaking, won’t be as cumbersome to the parties involved. Mark Nottingham, chair of the IETF HTTP Working Group, explains that HTTP/2 is not about pushing a completely new standard, rather about "getting the HTTP we know on the wire in a better way.”

The original plan for the new standard was to have TLS encryption built in too, but it was decided against because it could present some challenges to network operators. That said, HTTP/2 may indirectly end up making the internet safer regardless, as Firefox and Chrome developers have said that they won't support HTTP/2 unless it does support encryption. So, sites that want to get the benefit of faster browsing will need to implement TLS.

Permalink to story.

Something tells me that this is the last straw for Windows XP, which is very bad for private schools who don't have the money to upgrade their 25+ win XP laptops that their students use at school.

Something tells me that this is the last straw for Windows XP, which is very bad for private schools who don't have the money to upgrade their 25+ win XP laptops that their students use at school.
Well at least when someone at the administrative offices see a problem they'll fix it either during a weekend or the summer when they could upgrade to windows 7. And "private schools who don't have the money" really, I can understand public schools but private schools don't have money never heard of that before.

As the article said, the primary changes are in the transport, not the HTML,CSS,JS coding and the benefits should "almost" be transparent. Compression of http headers is minute and Yawn, so-what. The multiplexing is a BIG deal and a major improvement in network performance. I think the issue will boil down to support for TLS.

Well at least when someone at the administrative offices see a problem they'll fix it either during a weekend or the summer when they could upgrade to windows 7. And "private schools who don't have the money" really, I can understand public schools but private schools don't have money never heard of that before.

Then you've never been to a private school before. They have just as many, often times more money issues than the public schools.

Common misconception, but entirely wrong. Having to create your own funding so that you can stay open is viewed in a different light, when you don't have the government paying your bills.

Then you've never been to a private school before. They have just as many, often times more money issues than the public schools.

Common misconception, but entirely wrong. Having to create your own funding so that you can stay open is viewed in a different light, when you don't have the government paying your bills.

That very much depends on which school. I've worked for a few private schools that seem to have way too much money. All the toys, etc. But a lot of them also don't run windows. Cause it would still cost money. Even OSx is far cheaper on that level, or Linux. I've seen both in private schools along with windows. But they always seem to have high-end hardware, new printers, stuff for the kids, etc. Thought again, that surely is school dependent.

That very much depends on which school. I've worked for a few private schools that seem to have way too much money. All the toys, etc. But a lot of them also don't run windows. Cause it would still cost money. Even OSx is far cheaper on that level, or Linux. I've seen both in private schools along with windows. But they always seem to have high-end hardware, new printers, stuff for the kids, etc. Thought again, that surely is school dependent.
Agreed, I currently support 3 Private schools in the UK and all 3 are rolling in Money.
I cannot say the same for local Public schools.

Agreed, I currently support 3 Private schools in the UK and all 3 are rolling in Money.
I cannot say the same for local Public schools.
My guess then is that those three public schools rolling in money are in a big city like London. (pardon me if I spelt London wrong, from the US, not UK.) Small cities with populations of 30-60k, like the one I live in (I really live about a mile or two outside city limits) with a population of approx. 50k, compared to cities like London, approx. 8 mil population, and New York City, also approx. 8 mil population, both with thousands of jobs that likely pay 500k+ a month. In the city I live just outside of there may be 10-20 jobs like that but I don't really know as I'm not old enough to work yet in my state (again, I live in the US.), so that may, or may not be right. the private school closest to me has money, just not enough to pay for 25-30 3004 to 400$ laptops. That school also runs mostly on dell laptops and if memory serves me right bran new dell laptops, win 7 or 8, aren't cheap. Especially when half of their laptops for students, they have about 40-50 for students to use at school, are latitude e5500.

If you wondering how I know so much about this school, a relative of mine works there, hes IT.

One more thing, there are two small towns that are just a nine minute drive (thanks google maps) from the center of town. There are like five-ten (don't know the actual number) public schools in my town alone. not including the high schools. the school I've been talking about does pre-k to grade 8.

Back