Huawei hands out chargers at Apple Store's iPhone lines, tells customers they'll need them

midian182

Staff member
Top trolling As is usually the case with the launch of a new iPhone, Apple stores around the globe are seeing lines of people waiting to get their hands on a device. Taking advantage of the waiting masses at Singapore’s store was Huawei, which managed to promote some of its products while trolling Apple.

As reported by CNET, Huawei arrived at the Singapore outlet at 11 pm local time the night before the store started selling the new iPhones. The Chinese firm handed out its power banks to the waiting customers, which it said was to "offer respite from the weather and grueling wait."

While giving away 10,000mAh power banks might seem like an altruistic gesture on Huawei’s part—definitely something people standing outside for hours would appreciate—it appears that the firm’s main goal was taking a dig at Apple. Printed on the packaging of these devices were the words: “Here’s a power bank. You’ll need it. Courtesy of Huawei.”

Huawei has been promoting its triple-camera P20 Pro recently. Not only is the handset one of the best phones you can buy right now, but it’s also several hundred dollars cheaper than Apple’s pricey iPhone XS and XS Max. One of the most praised features of the P20 Pro is its 4,000 mAh battery unit, which has been described as offering “Epic” all-day battery life.

August saw two separate industry analysts reveal that Huawei had replaced Apple as the world’s second-largest smartphone vendor. We’ll soon find out if the latest iPhones have helped Apple reclaim the spot.

In other iPhone launch-related news, UK-owned company Deliveroo was taking orders and delivering food to those waiting outside Apple’s stores in locations around the world, ensuring that no hungry customers lost their place. The option was available in 12 countries, but the US wasn’t one of them.

Permalink to story.

That's a nice move from Huawei, Apple sticking to bad practices and people still in line to get it... geez.

Totally offtopic but... I feel a little bit sad when I read this kind of news, I have never felt passionate enough about something to wait in line for hours or days to be part of that first group of people, the thing is some people feel it's dumb to do it, but the guys who actually wait in lines when they get their gadget or whatever in their hands are freaking out in excitement, good for them!

Sorry guys, Apple stole the show and the joke is on Huawei. If people line up in front of Huawei stores, 12 hour before a product launching, would Huawei launch a PR campaign to get rid of such "bad practices"? I bet not - in fact I bet all the Huawei management and marketing department is dreaming of sheeple lining up to buy their crap. Just like people do for Apple. Nothing more than an obvious case of the fox and the grapes. And to make it even more sour, Apple has a very narrow range of smartphones to sell and maintain, while Huawei's products are divided accross various segments of the market. And they cannot go after Apple, they cannot compete in the same high price market as they lack innovation. How does a 1000 bucks Huawei smartphone sounds? Like wtf?

Anyone standing in line, "to be one of the first" to buy anything, be it a phone, buy a ticket to a movie, stand in line for over 20 minutes to eat at a restaurant? Morons that just have to be part of the IN crowd.
Old story...once there was this new bull & old bull standing on top of a hill, looking down upon a pasture of cows. The young bull says to the old bull, lets charge down there and (the cursive word for sex) SOME of those cows. The old bull says to the young bull, why don't we just slowly WALK down there and (the cursive word for sex) them ALL.
Instead of waiting in line, just wait a week for the stupidity to calm down, then you can walk into an Apple store and buy one without waiting. "But...the supply will be limited". LMAO! I guess you've never heard of marketing? Creating a false shortage is marketing 101 in order to get lDIOTS to line up early to get one. Has at any time, Apple never produced enough phones to meet demand? Nope.
Not to mention, if you wait a couple weeks/months, IF there were any uncaught hardware/software bugs after release, they will be fixed.

I mean, I would never que up for a iphone, Although I also didn't want to wait 6 weeks for a silver or black (or was it gold?) iphone, so I just picked up a Rose tinted iphone (Ha! rose tinted... I finally get the joke).

The pioneers that crossed the Great Plains (N. America) where the ones ending up face down with arrows in their backs.
Ignoring the 1849 gold rush, waiting a year or two was much safer.

As noted several time on this site, there are frequently day-1 problems with new equipment or releases. I remember Big Blue (aka IBM) had issues such that the mantra was "avoid all even numbered releases - - it will kill your data center."

I never understood (still don't) the haste to be the first on the block to have a new xyz product.

Back