Huawei Watch heading to the US later this month starting at $350

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Huawei announced earlier today at the IFA trade show that its Android Wear smartwatch will be landing on US soil later this month.

The wearable features a 42mm round face and body constructed of 316L cold-forged stainless steel with a double layer of scratch-resistant sapphire crystal covering the 1.4-inch AMOLED, 400 x 400 pixel (286 ppi) display. It accepts standard-sized lugs, making it compatible with virtually any other 18mm band.

Specification-wise, the Huawei Watch features an always-on watch face, Wi-Fi connectivity for use when a phone isn’t paired or in range, Bluetooth 4.1 LE connectivity and an enhanced heart rate monitor. It is powered by a dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 SoC clocked at 1.2GHz alongside 512MB of RAM and is compatible with both Android and iOS. A 300mAh battery keeps things going for up to two days, Huawei claims.

The Chinese company is offering several different versions of its smartwatch. Pricing starts at $349 for a stainless steel model with a black leather band. For an additional $50, you can bump up to either a steel link bracelet or a stainless steel mesh band.

There’s also a black-coated stainless steel model with matching black link bracelet for $449, a rose gold-plated variant with alligator-pressed brown leather for $699 and a rose gold-plated model with matching rose gold-plated link bracelet for $799.

Huawei is accepting pre-orders for select models as of writing (all but the rose gold options which are expected later this year) with plans to launch on September 17.

Permalink to story.

It's handiest feature is 'the always on time' but if I wanted that I could by a cheapo thing from the local flea market and it would't set me back $350. Apart from that feature I fail to see what else anybody could possibly want it for.

Back