Hyte's Y60 ATX case offers a panoramic view of your PC's hardware

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Among the many products unveiled at CES has been a slew of innovative new PC cases. The latest of these comes from iBUYPOWER’s sister brand Hyte, whose Y60 ATX PC case is designed to show off your computer’s hardware through the panoramic views enabled by its design.

Rather than having a single side of tempered glass, as with most PC chassis, the mid-tower Hyte Y60 ATX PC case features three bezel-less removable glass panels on the side, front, and corner. It looks pretty stunning, especially when the system is packing a custom water-cooled setup like the one in the example below.

The three panels are easily removed and attached, which one would imagine makes working inside the case a lot easier. Interestingly, the Y60 is designed so the graphics card can only be mounted vertically using the included PCIe 4.0 riser cable, which, along with the card’s PCB, is hidden behind a shroud that matches the color of the case exterior. Hyte adds that the case has enough room to squeeze half-height expansion cards behind the GPU.

The Y60 comes with three 120mm fans: two intakes on the floor and one exhaust in the rear. Users can also mount a 280mm radiator on the side and a 360mm radiator on the roof. Hyte says its “cold-floor” design eliminates hot spots with sweeping lateral vents and that its antechamber construction segments cables from thermal components.

The Y60 will be available in all-black, white and black, or red and black when it launches in March for $199. That’s not a bad price for such a unique case and is $50 cheaper than CyberPowerPC’s Deus Ex-like Kinetic Series that comes with 18 motorized triangular vents.

Permalink to story.

My next build will probably be with a Jonsbo TR03. This is a nice case, but I like having bigger cases for storage upgrades.

We have had cases like this for some time now with the lian li 011 Dynamic XL and the Thermaltake View 51. By far the best cases for hard tubing builds. I personally like the View 51 a little better because its bigger and gives you the option of fans in the front, even though ive always removed them so you can see the build from the front and side. Some people think you have to have fans in the front of case for some reason, its weird. Blowing cool air in from the bottom is a much better option.
This does look like a nice case, but just too small for my liking.

It still doesn't provide a space for an optical drive, which frankly, we old farts still want.
Seriously? I haven't used an optical drive in at least 10 years now. They sell palm-sized USB 3.0 external optical drives for like $30 now. I can't see any reason why someone would want to ugly up their case with a full sized 5.25" drive.

Seriously? I haven't used an optical drive in at least 10 years now. They sell palm-sized USB 3.0 external optical drives for like $30 now. I can't see any reason why someone would want to ugly up their case with a full sized 5.25" drive.
I'm obviously not as sophisticated as yourself. Happy glass polishing to you.

I'll tell you a funny story. my 50 year, but nonetheless very hip son bought himself a Mac Mini. The suckie 5400 rpm HDD took a crap, and he lost the receipt to the machine along with the service contract he paid for at the same time..

So naturally, I gave him a Windows tower to tide him over. That really wasn't, "fashionable enough" for him, so he eventually bought another $500.00 Mac Mini.

It seems to me, that while the size of the Mini is just soooo cute, unfortunately, the size of the peripherals are the same as those you would need to connect to a full size tower, along with another piece of crap to clutter up the desk with, an external optical drive.

So, he asked me what if I wanted the tower back, and I told him to either stick it up his a**, or use it a stand for his shiny new Mac.

More on topic, I've seen all these shiny glass "gaming cases". Most have been purported to be "mid-towers". Yet they only have room for 2 storage drives. And here I thought the whole 2 drives to the case, was a Matx sort of paradigm.

So, I have 2 anachronistic Cooler Master, "Storm Scout" cases, and an Antec 900, With 5 1/4" to 3 1/2" adapters, you can stuff a half dozen HDDs in the Storm Scouts, along with an optical drive. Now why on earth would I want one of the damned opticals laying on the desktop?

I apologize for inflicting anything this grotesque on you, along with my Neanderthal interior design sensibilities:

3196563_ra.jpg

Last edited:
I've been building PC's since the 90's and as time moved forward, storage solutions moved forward as well. Oddly enough, some hardware still ships with a CD for some reason with drivers on it, which of course can be downloaded quite easily. A lot of us old fogies made tons of CD "backups" back in the day and still have cases full of these CD's laying around, so we either need a spot to mount a CD drive in our cases or be bothered with an external drive which just adds more cables to deal with on the desk.

Oddly enough, some hardware still ships with a CD for some reason with drivers on it,
LG is sort of , (in my mind), notorious for this. I've got those crap CDs laying around the house, along with my own burns.
Sometimes they have minimal burning utilities on them. But if you have "ImgBurn", who needs it?

I came to the conclusion that the supplied CDs are not much more than adware. In the case of mobo CDs, it's drivers, and a lot of "value added" bloatware, and "trial-ware". With these, you have to selectively install the drivers, and ignore the rest of the crap. Unless of course, you want a paid subscription for life to Norton, then "bombs away".

You're most likely aware of all this, so consider this a PSA, for those who may not.

Last edited:
LG is sort of , (in my mind), notorious for this. I've got those crap CDs laying around the house, along with my own burns.
Sometimes they have minimal burning utilities on them. But if you have "ImgBurn", who needs it?

I came to the conclusion that the supplied CDs are not much more than adware. In the case of mobo CDs, it's drivers, and a lot of "value added" bloatware, and "trial-ware". With these, you have to selectively install the drivers, and ignore the rest of the crap. Unless of course, you want a paid subscription for life to Norton, then "bombs away".

You're most likely aware of all this, so consider this a PSA, for those who may not.

For some reason I've seen monitors that come with "driver" CD's as well.

For some reason I've seen monitors that come with "driver" CD's as well.
I've had an interesting experience with a "monitor driver". I installed one either out of some sort of panic, or maybe it was just for the hell of it.

It's the only machine I've ever had, that would go directly to sleep while the monitor was dark, by pushing the "standby" button, without the monitor waking up and having to push the sleep button again to initiate standby.

Does that have anything to do with the monitor driver I installed? I have absolutely no idea. :confused:

I'm obviously not as sophisticated as yourself. Happy glass polishing to you.

I'll tell you a funny story. my 50 year, but nonetheless very hip son bought himself a Mac Mini. The suckie 5400 rpm HDD took a crap, and he lost the receipt to the machine along with the service contract he paid for at the same time..

So naturally, I gave him a Windows tower to tide him over. That really wasn't, "fashionable enough" for him, so he eventually bought another $500.00 Mac Mini.

It seems to me, that while the size of the Mini is just soooo cute, unfortunately, the size of the peripherals are the same as those you would need to connect to a full size tower, along with another piece of crap to clutter up the desk with, an external optical drive.

So, he asked me what if I wanted the tower back, and I told him to either stick it up his a**, or use it a stand for his shiny new Mac.

More on topic, I've seen all these shiny glass "gaming cases". Most have been purported to be "mid-towers". Yet they only have room for 2 storage drives. And here I thought the whole 2 drives to the case, was a Matx sort of paradigm.

So, I have 2 anachronistic Cooler Master, "Storm Scout" cases, and an Antec 900, With 5 1/4" to 3 1/2" adapters, you can stuff a half dozen HDDs in the Storm Scouts, along with an optical drive. Now why on earth would I want one of the damned opticals laying on the desktop?

I apologize for inflicting anything this grotesque on you, along with my Neanderthal interior design sensibilities:

3196563_ra.jpg

It’s grotesque for sure. But I like it, it reminds me of better times. When building your own PC was more of a niche hobby. When hardware cost more reasonable amounts of money and games were made with more passion rather than by a committee.

It’s grotesque for sure. But I like it, it reminds me of better times. When building your own PC was more of a niche hobby. When hardware cost more reasonable amounts of money and games were made with more passion rather than by a committee.
"The Scout", was the smallest of Cooler Master's., "Storm" series. It was designed as a "LAN party case", hence the handle. Given its intended purpose of "going into battle", it drew its military aesthetic inspiration, better described as "kitsch", from the humble five gallon "jerry can": ;)

JC20B.PNG
:

Last edited:
What a rip of the Thermaltake P5. Next verion they will release can lay flat, then last one wall mount.

Keep an external disc drive for such occasions. Job done.
Yeah you're right. (y) (Y) Because hunting up an external burner, its PSU, a USB cable, climbing under the desk to plug in the burner's PSU to the surge suppressor, then connecting the PSU & USB cables, is ever , ever, so much more convenient than pushing that big heavy tray eject button right on the front of a case.

Last edited:
Forget the optical drive, it doesn't have 2x 5.25 bays for my quad 2.5 mobile bays.
Trust me, that glass case is so pretty, but it's, (at least to me), long forgotten.

I'm a blue collar kind of guy, and I've never gone in for Apple, or Bang & Olufsen, uber chic

Back