I am in the need of a new Harddrive and would like some recomendations

nickc

What I am looking for would be a 80 to 125 gig hard drive for a boot drive, but I would like a good dependable one. I used to think western digital built dependable hard drives but the last three I have had did not last. is there some one that can recommend a good 3 1/2" drive and if u could tell me where on line i can purchase it I would appreciate it.

thanks

nickc

The Samsung SpinPoint F3 & Western Digital Caviar Black are available in 500GB and 1TB flavors, and are fine choices if you're in the market for a new HDD. The SpinPoint is faster, but the Caviar Black has larger warranty coverage, so take your pick.

If your budget allows for it, a Patriot TorqX or Sandisk G3 SSD will be best.

Unless you go SSD you aren't going to find any new drives around that size range, even if you found 'new in box' ones they are many years old now and would be incredibly slow compared to more modern drives.

Frys is selling a Hitachi 2TB drive for $104 this weekend.

You still may be able to buy 160GB drives, but generally there's no point to it. The cost per GB goes up too high, and with Newegg there's a shipping charge on them.

People are saying the new Seagate Barracuda 12 series are quite decent. I have a 320GB for the system drive on my latest computer,works fine, and it's quiet.

It's on sale ATM @ Newegg; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...69&cm_re=320GB_Seagate-_-22-148-469-_-Product There's a promo code listed for this price, and it's good until Sept 13.

You're still going to pay a small price penalty for the small drive, but 38 bucks delivered is a good deal, IMHO.

I understand where you're coming from, and I wouldn't have a system drive larger than this one. I even partition that, to allow half the drive to collect temporary files. The real storage is on the other volume drives in my systems.

The 320GB Seagate is a single platter drive, and it should be as fast or faster than anything smaller, (7200 RPM), due the the high density storage.

Back