I am learning how to microsolder......

Kshipper

I am learning how to micro solder and I was inspired by watching Louis Rossman and then Northridge Fix and Adamant IT (I think this guy is the easiest to learn from) on YouTube. I have successfully done a power jack replacement but I have yet to crack motherboard diagnosis and repair. I wish I took Electrical Engineering in school now but I am too old now (58). Do any of have the skills I am seeking and if you do, how did you learn? What was your best resource? It does not have to be a free recommendation.

International Business Machines, or IBM were the uses of
Computers. Business Machines like copiers, type writers, fax machines were with a professional look. Very expensive equipment that required field service and on site repair. Component level PCB repair was when no replacement was available. You know the look of a worked on PCB and a micro sized one today. Just swap it out to illiminate the problem completely if possible.
Louis Rossman has been repairing PCBs that have had
a soldering defect and reported to Congress these findings, but he does not make enough profit today. Just swap out a PCB if you can. Surface mount technology is difficult, but a heat gun and a little flux and solder paste mixed with solder powder, can work miracles.
The worst thing to find is a PCB that has been over worked on by someone who thought components needed to be replaced and the PCB has the copper traces all pulled off.

We used to have a more professional look with NO hippies allowed. Clean cut with a shirt & tie.
A gaming computer is sort of a good Work Station that is needed today. A work station computer has good performance and would need to only have some one professional like you involved and no beatnicks or hippies need apply.
Good luck to you. If you can repair a power jack, you should be good for Office Equipment and Business Machines.

While I appreciate your reply, I think your post misses the mark. I am doing micro soldering, not thinking about it. I have the equipment (I have easily spent $20k). I just want to learn how to be better at what I am doing.

I'm not sure why IBM, hippies, or suggesting I just swap out a motherboard is coming up. I don't agree that a gaming computer is a workstation. They are two different types of uses, so they are very different in design.

On a cheery note. I had a laptop come in for repair (water damaged). The customer did not want to wait for me to attempt the repair so they abandoned it. I turned on my Crest Ultrasonic cleaner. Filled it up with reversis osmosis water. Googled for the proper temperature of the water>> 60c. I took a guess on the amount of ultrasonic cleaner solution. Ran the degassing cycle first then I dunked the board for 4 mins per side. I gave the board an isopropyl alcohol bath when it was done and hung it up for 5 days to dry.

I warmed it up with a hairdryer just to be sure it was dry and then I installed it, and "Tah dah" it worked. The keyboard is pooched so I have to get one of those to fix the laptop completely but it is a pretty good laptop once I get it completely fixed. It has a Ryzen 5 3500u and a 500GB NVMe M.2 drive. This is why I am looking to do repair work. A lot of stuff we are throwing out can be fixed.

I bought MECHANIC solder paste. (type) : XGSP40
(Alloy) : Sn63/Pb37 (Microns) : 3# (Flux) : ipx3 (Weight) : 35G

183 degree C.

So far works like magic. Just apply the paste and use the correct heat gun at the correct temperature and you may solder
like the pro's.

I stopped attempting to repair at the component level when
they can supply a new one without a problem at the right price.
Otherwise, out dated equipment has to have your gentle hands and soldering ability.

Back