I believe I may have fried my mobo, looking for answer

monkeychef23

Alright, so I got a psu to replace the my old one that had just died. I plugged it all in and started up the computer (I plugged each component in one by one, starting with the video card.) I finished with the video card, the mobo, and the hard drives, so I just started plugging in all my fans. At one point there was a 3 pin plug that said SYS FAN 1, so I plugged a 4 pin power connector into it thinking that was where the power went for the fans (I was/still am very tired).

Anyway, I turned on the computer, and that SYS FAN 1 spot started to spark and smoke. So now, whenever I try to turn the computer on, it continuously loops through turning on (like it will go on for .5 seconds, and all the lights will stay on, and then a burst of electricity will go it every .5 seconds like its turning on again).

I know I am not that good at explaining, but if anyone is understanding this or is willing to give it a try, then please do not hesitate to ask any questions.

Thanks.

Yes, I'd say the motherboard is fried. I mean we are always told to avoid even static electricity discharges which will damage the motherboard. If you got sparks and smoke, it's fried.

Alright thanks. That kinda sucks.

Does anyone know how long an RMA process will take? I really want to get back up and running.

Hang on one minute.

This 3 pin plug on the motherboard marked SYS_FAN1, did you plug a connector from your power supply onto it? Very bad idea. You do not supply power there, you plug a fan in, which receives power from that connector.
I would at least unplug the connector and try the board again. If you're lucky, you've only fried a fan controller, a capacitor and a fuse.

You may very well not get an RMA, especially since Gigabyte will probably figure out that it's user error.

Yeah, a friend came over the other day and helped me take it apart, telling me that what I did was wrong. He told me I would probably not get an RMA, and that was confirmed after calling them.

Now its just a matter of whether my father wants the ddr3 version of the board or an upgrade to i7. Either way I say its a win situation, although I feel bad that these problems happened and the computer was less than two years old. But hey, sh** happens, right?

IMO you should have called and said it just stopped working and let them determine if it was user error or not. My brother hit and dislodged a capacitor once and called support. He told them it never booted up and wound up getting a fresh board. Not sure if they record calls and if they do you might be sol taking that approach since you spoke to them already.

IMO you should have called and said it just stopped working and let them determine if it was user error or not. My brother hit and dislodged a capacitor once and called support. He told them it never booted up and wound up getting a fresh board. Not sure if they record calls and if they do you might be sol taking that approach since you spoke to them already.

U bad person!

Back