Inactive I cannot start the 8 step process on a Vaio PCG7Y2L

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkg929

I am trying to start the 8 step process to give you scans to look at. I am using Norton 360. It will run but shows no virus. This pc is going so slow.I did msconfig and shut off all but basic needs. I am now on
96 hours of trouble shooting. First I tried scan disk, it ran over 18 hours with no report and no repair. So I rebooted and restarted scan disk again, another 18 hours for this scan and no report no repair. Previous to my 96 hours, my son ran norton 360, it shows no problems which I think is wrong. I downloaded on a flash drive the 8 steps and software. I spent all last night running Avira, with Norton disabled. Avira says no virus. Something is not allowing the Virus programs to run.
I ran spybot had 2 items, I ran HJT it removed 2 items. I am working from a 2nd pc for net access and will try to post the 2 scans I ran. Interesting I finally got events manager to open and saw over 56,000 events in the last 24 hours. OK , I am now so frustrated I have come to the conclusion to not do anything more until you all have read my post and can advise me where to start and how to proceed. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance. Attached are the few scans I was able to do.

Kay(bkg929)

Attachments

• norton scanVaio1.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 2
  • hijackthis Vaio1.log
    4.4 KB · Views: 2
Please don't do anything else except the steps in the thread. If you cannot do them, then you let us know and we instruct you. Running a lot of scans, then attaching them- which is no longer allowed- takes time away from me doing something useful.

I'm going to have a look at the Spybot log you put into a new thread- also nor allowed-and will then close that thread. Repeat: please don't give me any more scan unless they are on the thread.

Sorry Bobby

Sorry Bob but I don't know how to get the text file to here. Do I just copy and past it? Sorry for the inconvience I caused you.
Kay

Yes, it's copy and paste in Notepad- make sure 'Word Wrap' is unchecked in Format> Word Wrap. Instruction for the logs are in each program.

Are you following this?>>>>>>

If you would like us to check the system for malware, please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

You can delete all the scan you left here. I looked at HJT and the entire middle section of it is missing. The Norton scan doesn't shows anything but 1 Tracking Cookie. I didn't open Spybot.

Bobbye

Yes if you read my 1st post I am having trouble getting avira to run. I will start the 8 steps over and paste the logs if able. If I am unable I will send another reply.
bkg929

can not boot in normal mode

I have tried the last 4 hours to boot in normal mode to start the 8 step program.
In normal mode all freezes and the pointer mouse will not move. I can boot up in safe mode.
bkg929

Was there some reason you put both Norton and Avira on the system? Did you think that Avira would find malware that Norton did not? You have assumed that because neither Norton or Avira found a virus, that "Something is not allowing the Virus programs to run." That is not necessarily correct.

Let's pull back and get some direction here. Please delete all those scans you ran. They don't help and take up space on the hard drive.
Can you please describe to me what problem you were having that made you run all these scans? Is the main problem not being able to boot into a working Normal Mode? I do note though that even though the HijackThis log was missing the middle section, you ran it in Normal Mode.

I see 'problem with Normal Mode' and slow PC. I can't help if I don't know what's wrong.

As for this:
Interesting I finally got events manager to open and saw over 56,000 events in the last 24 hours. OK

The Event Viewer has logs for everything that happens on the computer. The only ones you need to be concerned with are the Errors.

Description of the Event Viewer:
There are three sets of logs:
[1]System
[2]Applications
[3]Security
By opening the first two to display the Events, you can look for Errors that correspond to the time of the problem.

There are three types of Events in the System and Apps logs:
[1] Information (white circle w/blue i): this is just basic documentation of the normal working of the System or Apps.
[2] Warnings (yellow triangle w/black exclamation mark) noting some problem at that moment. Warnings usually resolve on their own. If they do not, they become>>>
[3] Errors (red circle w/white X- they document something that didn't work or isn't happening as it should.

Each Errors has three parts:
[1] ID#
[2] Source
[3] Description
By doing a right click> Properties, the Error will open to a screen that can be copied. These three parts taken together can usually lead to cause and resolution.

If you can find a recurring error or match an Error to a time when you failed to do what you were trying to do, that's the Error Event we need to look for.

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

You can ignore the Categories 1 and 2. If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed. You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.

Please do not copy the entire Event log.
Vista path can be followed here: (Copy button is on lower left)
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Monitoring-Event-Logs-Windows-Vista.html

Bobbye

to answer your "Let's pull back and get some direction here. Please delete all those scans you ran. They don't help and take up space on the hard drive.
Can you please describe to me what problem you were having that made you run all these scans? Is the main problem not being able to boot into a working Normal Mode? " My 1st post describes my problems. In normal mode the pc is moving very slow and freezes up. Which lead me to the 8 step problem to run the scans, I have deleted all the scans .
What direction do you want me to go to next?
bkg929

can't start 8 step

Bobbye,
I to answer your question of using two virus scans, I had read the 8 step recommending avira if there was no protection. Although I have protection from Norton. Norton would not scan the files. I am using Norton 360. After reading your post this evening on my event viewer. I went back a tried to run Norton 360. It does not work. The avira does not work. I can't get through step one of the 8 steps. Please advise how to proceed.
kay

You're going to have to clarity "does not work." "Does not work" and "doesn't find anything" are not the same thing!
I am using Norton 360. It will run but shows no virus.
Avira says no virus.
Then you say:
Something is not allowing the Virus programs to run.
Maybe there aren't any viruses!

My 1st post describes my problems. In normal mode the pc is moving very slow and freezes up. Which lead me to the 8 step problem to run the scans, I have deleted all the scans .

There are many reasons for a slow computer. Yes, if there is a malware infection and it is extensive, it can slow a PC down. But so can having too many processes starting on boot and running the the background. So can not having enough RAM. As for the freezes, please describe what you are trying t d when the system freezes. Are you trying to open a program? Does it freeze in the middle of doing something? If you reboot and it starts up, does it freeze again in a while?
=========================================
Please run this online virus scan:

Run Eset NOD32 Online AntiVirus scan HEREhttp://www.eset.eu/online-scanner
  1. Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  2. Click Start
  3. When asked, allow the Active X control to install
  4. Disable your current Antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notification Tray icon near the clock.
  5. Click Start
  6. Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked, and the option "Scan unwanted applications" is checked
  7. Click Scan
  8. Wait for the scan to finish
  9. Re-enable your Antivirus software.
  10. A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please include this on your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back