I can't install programs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I'm running Windows XP with SP2.
Second, I don't have ANY viruses (that I know about...I just did a complete system scan). Well... Basically.... I tried to install a program one day and the installer would just quit at about 5 seconds of runtime(with NO error messages). So I tried a few other programs installers/ un-installers and they would do the same thing... So I tried rebooting, but got the exact same result. Then I tried re-downloading some of the programs, but once again, got the same result. Please help!

NOTE: 1 out of 10 installs would work, and they are almost all different installer types, e.g. Wise, Install-Creator etc...

Firewall, antivirus or antispyware blocking your attempts? If you are attemptin the install from an optical drive, the drive may have died on you... today's drives are very fragile and last less than a year.

First, check that you are using the latest Windows Installer 3.1 version 2. Just go to the Windows Update web site.

If you are, then I would check for spyware. Some spyware messes up the Windows Installer program. I recommend the following 3 anti-spyware programs:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-spyware
All are free and can be downloaded via the Internet. If you can't install them, then just go to step 2, which is to perform an XP repair installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back