I don't even know..

magaman598

So, my dad was on his computer the other night and I shut it off at about 12 because he went to bed and foregot to turn it off, so, this morning he gets on the computer and it's like a fresh install of Windows XP BUT all of his games are installed, and all sensative documents on the computer are gone, but he just restarted the computer and now everything is back, I'm going to do a full backup and reinstall windows.

Anyone heard of this happening before?

Also, I removed the hard drive to put it into my backup computer to retrieve files from the hard drive but my dad's profile on it is private, is there any way I can get around the privacy settings?

My guess would be that when he logged on first thing in the morning, it was unable to load his profile for some reason, so it logged him on with a temporary profile (which looks like a new/blank profile). I think the only way to make the profile not private, is to do it while you're logged into the profile from the pc it was setup on.

Mmmkay, cause I've been just stumped on this, I'm actually going to be building him a new computer this week, so that'll be exciting.

Back