z68xpu ud3 mother board
Intel Core i7 870 processor
8 gb ddr3nano kingmax 1600
hdd 2tb sata 2 black edition
vga sli 590
power supply odin pro
case haf 932 coolermaster

Thats a little sad.

The Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 is a Z68 chipset board using the FC-LGA1155 socket. It requires a "Sandy Bridge" LGA1155 CPU ( four digit model number starting with 2. i.e. 2400, 2500, 2600 etc... There are also unlocked three multiplier CPU's suffixed "K" ( 2500K, 2600K and 2700K) for people who like the idea of overclocking. Which brings us to your CPU...

...which is a "Lynnfield" CPU made for FC-LGA1156 for the previous series of Intel motherboards ( P55 primarily).

In short, your CPU is NOT able to work with the board you have chosen. You will need to return it and select a CPU from this range of models.

This is the motherboards product page. You can view the CPU support list from the button on the right-hand side of the page. I would also double check RAM compatibility (either from the board's manual or download a copy of the memory support list ) - the RAM you have listed is rated at quite a large voltage range (1.5 - 1.8 volts)...anything over 1.65 volts will cause your (eventual) CPU to have an incredibly short lifespan.

The i5-2400 is comparable in performance.

However for the price of the Core i7-870 ($289) at newegg you can get a i7-2600 ($299), which has 1.5 times the performance.

The 2600K is an excellent CPU. If you can afford it - and if you've bought a GTX 590, then you probably can- then it will be an excellent performer.

thanks dude i will go for it, and tell me what else i need to add and do i need the liquid cooler to add it or no need ?

Not a huge fan of all-in-one watercooling, but they are relatively compact.
If you are going to get one I would suggest the Corsair H100, but if you aren't going to overclock the CPU then the stock cooler will be "ok" (not great), or check out a good air cooler (Thermalright Archon or similar).
If you are planning to overclock or prefer watercooling then I would suggest the XSPC Rasa 750 RS240. For approximately the same cost of the Corsair H100 but MUCH better performance, with the added virtues of being able to be added to or modified in future. It's a little more involved than the H100...but not by much.

The other all-in-one solutions (Corsair H50/H60/H70/H80, Antec Kuhler H2O 620 and 920) don't offer a significant performance upgrade over a good air cooler, and have the added disadvantage of being fairly loud when the fan(s) are run at high r.p.m. If a single radiator all-in-one is what you are looking for then the H80 is probably the best of the bunch...although the price doesn't thrill me.

I would suggest you make sure about RAM compatibility before shopping for aftermarket coolers. A system will POST with the stock Intel cooler...there's a chance it won't with the wrong memory.

Back