I got some virus and I dunno how to fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwells1234

Some thing isnt letting me install new products. like i can do add or remove programs from the control panel. i tried to install new antivirus stuff but it wont work nothing comes up when i double click it to run. it acts like its going to do something but then it never does. in the control panel window there are these 3 like file's but they have no name and i can't delete them or move them out of the window. im assuming that these are the problem files. ( i cant rename them or anything).

Im afraid im gona have to like re-image it or something :( please help me :(

I have that Mcafee scan on-demand thing. and it wont let me run that either. everytime i click on scan it locks up and says program is not responding.

my AIM Screen name is Cwells51788 or you can email me at cwells@ycp.com

Also when i start up my computer it comes up with a bunch of stuff and it says it has a bad image. and like when i start up Aim it says it has a bad image or something. but the program will still run and work for me.

Start -->Run-->MSCONFIG
And temporarily turn off any unwanted startups (except for your AntiVirus program)
Restart, update your Antivirus, and do a full scan

Actually before running the scan, remove all your temporary Internet files (why scan them)
You can also click Start->Run-> %temp%
and remove everything in that folder too.

CCleaner can do this for you too, but just in case you can't get it to run.

it didn't work :( my virus scan didn't pick anything up :( Mcafee is gay :(

I cant run any install things. my friend told me to get this AVG thing and i tried to but it wouldn't let me install it. I even tried to do that RUN thing and found it and tried to start it like that and it wouldn't let me.

Well actually...

It does remove all your MS Security updates you've downloaded (over the years no doubt!)
But XP Service Pack 3 is now available anyway, so it's easy to update it now (all in one) from Windows Update

i have no idea what i did >_>

but now when it boots up it asks me if i wana do windows xp home addition or the professional one O_o???

how do i undo or delete what ever i did and then ill just take it to a place to have it check out or have my dad look at it. cuz i dont wana mess around with it any more lol.

this is exactly what the lil pop up box says that is the problem i think...
i opened up AIM

title bar--- aim6.exe -- Bad Image

body---- (there is a red dot with that white X) "The application or DLL C:\\WINDOWS\system32\xpsp2res.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

and then another one came up and it was the same cept in the title it said aimsoftware.exe

i just wana b able to use my control panel >_< and delete programs that are taken up space >_< :( my computer is broken !!!
i have no idea what to do.... i was hoping this would b a quick fixable thing so i wouldnt have to take it to my dad cuz he'll prolly get pissed cuz its all messed up lol

Did you follow the Repair steps clearly?
Or have you tried to install another OS?

Also when you repaired Windows, this should have been done with your original disc

i think i may have used the wrong disc i used the home edition one and i guess i have the proffesional one...... Opps.... is there any way to undo it?or to stop it from making me choose?

i seemed to have put windows on my backup drive XD or is it sapposed to b there ??? >_> can i delete it out of there? out of the back up drive thing

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP

Please follow all steps in that link

This is the one you want:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

About the backup (XD?)
Do you mean you installed to there, or you have the Windows setup files there?
Anyway the boot.ini file edit should help

the window files are set up there like thats where i guess i installed it to. can i just delete em or do i have to like uninstall them?

the XD thing is a face i use its kinda like lol the x is the eyes like squinting and the D is a smile xD its kinda like lol but it doesn't make it look so repetitive sorry i should keep that stuff out

but yea once i do this booter thing and i find the real disk and repair it i think it will b good

im going to bed now ill try and do the boot thing 2morrow and then ill b away fro the weekend and ill try to do that repair thing for the OS. the right one this time lol.

(just thought i'd let u know so u wouldnt have to check back here till sunday then)

ok so my boot file thing looks like this

1 [boot loader]
2 timeout=30
3 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
4 [operating systems]
5 multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
6 multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

can i just delete the stuff in red????

and also the partition thing is different then that sample one at spots in line 3 and in line 6 i dunno if me changing them would do anything??? so i wanted to check with you b4 i did anything i highlighted them blue ^_^

Also when i do that msconfig thing it wont let me edit stuff cuz it says im not the administrator or something but i ahve it set that i have the administrator account cuz its the only account.... there are no others on the computer....like to log into....???? i dunno what it means with all that could u like explain that?

can i just delete the stuff in red????
Yes

and also the partition thing is different then that sample one at spots in line 3 and in line 6 i dunno if me changing them would do anything??? so i wanted to check with you b4 i did anything i highlighted them blue ^_^

Change line 3 to: default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

Note: if Windows does not start after doing this (there's always a possibility:( )
Boot from any Xp CD
Go to the first R Prompt
press-> 1
Then press-> enter
Enter the following on a command line: bootcfg /rebuild
You will need to write in the correct command, which is: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Restart

how high is this possibility? lol and i can use the home edition xp thing?? do i just go back in and change the file then? for the boot or w/e how do i get it to start up the XP professional version. cuz the home edition one was all weird looking when i had accidentally installed it lol i was scared and was like just restarted it and all.

how high is this possibility?
80/20 It's highly likely it'll work !

can use the home edition xp thing??
You need a Home key (COA Key) to dual boot

do i just go back in and change the file then?
Yes
Also you may need to attrib it not read only

attrib boot.ini -h

how do i get it to start up the XP professional version
That's what we're doing

cuz the home edition one was all weird looking when i had accidentally installed it lol i was scared and was like just restarted it and all.
Yes we're removing that

whats the home key?? that COA thing?? and i dunno what that atribb boot.ini -h thing means lol im really just hoping this boot thing works when i delete the crap out and i dont have to do anything else XD cuz if it doesn't my dad is gona flip **** lol is my situation bad or is this like something small ?? lol

what is that home key?? i dunno what that is that COA or the dual boot lol and i dunno how to begin about the attrib boot.ini -h

Im really counting on this boot thing going off with out a hitch lol ooh snap it went to the 2nd page hahah i was like i posted but its not here ill post again XD whoops

I'm back !

Yes the COA key (sticker) attached to the side of your computer (I think you have Xp Professional)

The boot.ini file is normally read only
So if you edit it, it may say, cannot edit read only file
The Attrib command can remove the read only attribute. From running the attrib boot.ini file on the black (Dos like) screen

how do i bring that thing up?

its 5 a.m. lol and im tired im bout to hit the hay lol
i dont really know what im doing im not sure if i should do this or not >_< :-\ im afraid for my life XD

Boot from your Xp CD
Select the first R prompt (once the boot disc loads all the drivers)
To log on to the Administrator account: Press the number 1 key, then press Enter.
Wait for the prompt c:\windows to arrive

type:

attrib c:\boot.ini -h

then type:

Edit c:\boot.ini

And put the following in it only:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

File->Save

then type:

Exit

Hopefully that works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back