I have a decent graphics card but my frames still lag

Here are my settings:
CPU Type: Intel® Pentium® D CPU 2.80GHz
CPU Speed: 2.82 GHz
System Memory: 3.25 GB
Video Card Model: ATI Radeon HD 4770
Video Card Memory: 1013 MB
Video Card Driver: ati2dvag.dll

Ok so i still play counterstrike and i still get fram lags on cs1.6, this is really bugging me because i actually thought it was the graphic card problem the whole time but when i switched my graphic card to an ATI Radeon HD 4850, it still gave me the same problem. Is it my CPU? Because im really starting to doubt that the graphic card isnt the problem because the 4770HD was actually considered a decent graphic card.

Please Help!

any suggestions though? i heard that if i change CPU's i have to change the whole motherboard so that the CPU's and the motherboard will be compatible

any suggestions though? i heard that if i change CPU's i have to change the whole motherboard so that the CPU's and the motherboard will be compatible
That's most likely true, though you can't be sure until you provide motherboard information.
I'd guess that it's the CPU.

CPUZ will show what the motherboard is. Google should pull up CPU support list. Just knowing the chipset and I'd have a very good idea of what will work. That 945 I linked to is probably the best you will find for it.

ok so the mother board is: Intel DG31PR i dont know if the AAD97573-306 have to do with anything but it comes after that,

The chipset is: Intel /PG35/G33/G31 Rev. 10

Processor is Intel Pentium D 915

Hope that helps

G31 supports Core2 duo and quads.Finding a used Q6600 would be nice. They can be found around $100 or so now. Even a E6300 is a huge step up from a Pentium D.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=E6400-R&cat=CPU

It looks like E6600 are going for about $50 on ebay. That's probably the best price to performance you'll find for it. E8400 is better but going for twice that.

The specs say the board supports core 2 quads on the 1066mhz bus, and core 2 duos up to the 1333mhz bus. The latest BIOS should support all LGA 775 cpu's but Intel does not say so. In fact they don't even say it supports the Pentium D.

Thank you so much for you're help, so just to clear things up, i don't necessarily need to change my motherboard right? If i upgrade to the E8400 would i see a drastic improvement in my graphics frames? And lastly, i just wanted to know if you could tell me the big difference its going to make from my old CPU to this current E8400 unless theres a better one than that too. Would the E8600 be compatible as well?

ok, so im not sure how to look at this but my bios model says its:

PG311OH.86A.0065.2009.0421.1559

Am i looking at the 0065 section? And if so does that mean the 0065 will support anything lower than 0065? Like the 0059

i don't think that you need to upgrade your cpu , i can play cs 1.6 perfectly on my ancient pentium 3 running @ 550 mhz , 128 mb of ram and nvidia fx 5200 128 mb ,
System requirement for CS 1.6 :
Minimum: 500 mhz processor, 96mb ram, 16mb video card, Windows 2000/XP/ME/SE, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended: 800 mhz processor, 128mb ram, 32mb+ video card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

The CPU is the weakest part of you computer. It is whole lot faster than the first Pentium 3 with a fx-5200 though. My son plays it with a Q6600 and 4870 and gets well over 100fps. I don't know what your problem is.

Back