I have a hardware problem, in what order do I take my comp apart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deganveran

Someone on this board told me that I was having instability and constant BSOD's from a general hardware failure and that the only way to figure out whats wrong is to disconnect everything, connect it one by one, start it up and see if its stable. In what order do I do this?

For example, do I take out the processor and all other components except the mobo and turn it on to see if its stable? Then add in processor and do it again? Also, don't I have to keep my vid card plugged in? Without it I can't have my monitor plugged in and see if it BSOD's or not?

Just disconnect all the wires originating at the PSU from the motherboard. Then unscrew the PSU and take it out. Remove wires from all other components that are attached to the motherboard. Follow that up with carefully removing the motherboard from the case. Take out your memory sticks. You may also take the HSF off the CPU and re-seat it. In that case you'll have to apply some TIM on it again. While putting it back just reverse the procedure.

If there are any specific queries you have, feel free to ask.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression Ritwik. I meant take my computer apart, then start it up to see if its stable, then install another part, start up again to look for stability, etc. until I find just which component of my computer is failing and causing constant BSOD's.

You need a power supply, motherboard, CPU, and a stick of Ram minimum just to bring up the bios. You can add more hardware above these minimum requirements and swap items out. For example running with no CPU is not going to tell you anything.
A BSOD is not always hardware related. Have you got all the latest drivers and firmware updates?

My mobo is an Abit IP-95 with no vid outputs. This BSOD was told to me that it was a hardware issue based on the fact that I bought a new Hd and did a clean install with the same results and the error code is hardware related.

I have a gig of ram, my power supply, my mobo and CPU and vid card hooked up. I started it up and it says reboot and select proper boot device. Does this count as stable so I can know wether to move on or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back