I installed wrong USB driver, no PS2 ports, and now I have no keyboard or mouse

Hey everyone,

I am using a Dell Dimension e520 desktop which comes with no ps2 ports. I downloaded and installed the wrong usb drivers when i was trying to get windows to recognize my usb flash drive. Anyway, once windows restarted after driver installation I lost functioning of and usb ports, including mouse and keyboard. My keyboard does work in BIOS though, so I tried everything in there I could. Also tried safe mode, but loses keyboard and mouse, reinstalling windows - it requires mouse or keyboard input, and using another hard drive to access the old one, but for some reason my windows 7 sata HDD crashes at the black windows login when i try booting. I have also reset CMOS to no avail. Once windows starts the mouse and keyboard power off. I do have my recovery cd and can get into the recovery console with keyboard function. I disabled the wrong AMD usb drivers, but still nothing worked. I tried disabling several other USB related items under listsvc but nothing gave me keyboard or mouse function. The only two things I can think of are to buy a PCI-usb card and plug in there and hope it works, or find a friends computer and boot with old HDD as slave drive and try reinstalling old drivers that way. Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks in advance

Use your help procedure in Windows to find out how to restore your PC to a point before you did the wrong thing. It is called 'system restore'

I do not think it is possible to run system restore without logging into windows, which, if i do, I lose keyboard and mouse input. thanks though, any other suggestions?

Found a site with instructions on how to run system restore from recovery console, trying that.

Back