I need a new graphics card...

bluebob951

OK so I have a GTX 590, The card was working great, but every know and then the card fails to rev up the cores, while games run at 10-25 fps, and the only solution is a restart. I've looked at the cores while gaming and the speed is 607 for the first core and 550 for the second, I know 607 is what they are both supposed to be at. I need to know of any fixes, or any graphics card combination that can replace the the one card. I am open to SLI, Crossfire or just a single card, budget of around $1000 I just an opion on what to do, go with new cards? or stick out the issues I'm having and waiting for a new generation of cards. . And RMA is not an option.

Current system:
Intel 2500k @ 4Ghz
16GB's Corsair Vengeance 1600
MSi Z68A-GD65 (G3)
Nvidia Edition GTX 590
Thermaltake TX2 850 Watt
2X 2Tb HDD, 2X 1Tb HDD, 64Gb Corsair GT
Asus Xonar Essence STX
Corsair H50

I think thats everything, thanks in advance everyone.

What resolution do you run at? 10-25fps does not sound normal even if one core is downclocking by 50Mhz.

The GTX 680, the current fastest single card won't give you much more of a performance boost over the 590 so if you want to upgrade with a $1k budget I'd say SLI GTX 670 will give you the best bang for buck.

have u tried testing any performance with the graphics card try rendering tests/stress test check its specs or use gpu-z and check what might be making your card perform bad.

+ if u actualy want a new card throw in a gtx 690 I belive it actualy outran 680 by abit though its quite costy 1 card costs about the price of 2 gtx 680/670 so id go with that

Only 1080p, yeah you would think a slight down clock wouldn't kill frames that badly, maybe only 10-30 not 60-70fps. Yeah sli GTX 670 is what I was looking at. I just don;t want down clocking to happen, I think its a power core bug, I want something as equal to the 590, or slightly better.

+ if u actualy want a new card throw in a gtx 690 I belive it actualy outran 680 by abit though its quite costy 1 card costs about the price of 2 gtx 680/670 so id go with that

Not sure what prices are in your country but in the UK the GTX 690 is £900 and THREE times the price of a GTX 670 so not great value at all. Amazing card if you can find one and have deep pockets but not sure it's the best value setup out there.

gpu-z reports it running at 670 for both core, if I run furmark it shows them both running at 333Mhz, and 607 in gpu-z during the furmark run. I've down a clean install of the drivers with no help.

Well if you're only gaming at 1080p a single GTX 670/680 or 7970 will be able to max any game out there, and so should your GTX 590. I'd try fixing your current card first before blowing $1k on new hardware.

gpu-z reports it running at 670 for both core, if I run furmark it shows them both running at 333Mhz, and 607 in gpu-z during the furmark run. I've down a clean install of the drivers with no help.
Was it always like this or was it running fine before?

Well if you're only gaming at 1080p a single GTX 670/680 or 7970 will be able to max any game out there, and so should your GTX 590. I'd try fixing your current card first before blowing $1k on new hardware.

The problem is I don;t know how, drivers to nothing and I can't RMA the card.

I think the only solution would be to get a new card and take the loss, or just deal with the annoyance or restarting.

em have you tried taking out the graphics card maybe clear some dust and re essemble try it maybe it works better

I've tried that too, the whole computer is basically dust free, I clean it out every few months. I'ts not getting to hot, it tops out at around 85C in furmark.

I've had it a few years, you think the capacitor degradation could cause the gpu to screw up? it's been working fine since I got it a few years ago, it's been through 3 builds now previous one was a phenom and 5770's in crossfire, maybe it's just had enough.

I think I'm just going to get a single card configuration now the real question is gtx680 or radeon 7970?

Back